Re: Sociable Soccer - Jon Hare's new football game is on KICKSTARTER!

• steviebwoy78
  • steviebwoy78's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago #131211 by steviebwoy78

It s an alleged AAA software house with one of the greatest game designers of all time at the helm, get it done, or stop bringing SWOS into the picture.

It seems your hostility stems mostly from the use of the SWOS name, right? On this point I totally understand and agree to a large extent. Your attitude is precisely why I was saying that this game has absolutely nothing to do with SWOS. It is a brand new game. However, as the creator of SWOS, deosn t Jon have the right to invoke it in order to promote his new project? Again, It s a catch 22 for me.

If one person, who isn t even a professional programmer, managed to code something that works beautifully for like 100~ players, with zero funding and nothing but the input of a bunch of oldschool SWOS players as blueprints, why couldn t they?

I m sure they could, and probably will if the game is a success. This one person, who isn t a professional programmer, didn t have to build a great game from the ground up. It s a bit insulting to be honest.

A career mode (online or offline) is absolutely worthless if they don t get the gameplay right first. Exactly like they did with Sensible Soccer. Had they taken the extra time to include career mode on release day, you d probably never have heard of Sensible Soccer today.

I can see both points of view on this one, but I definitely side with Mr Higgins again in terms of the fact that the Italian online version didn t have to build a complete game (dare I say, with career mode) at the same time as the online components.
The topic has been locked.
  • steviebwoy78
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago #131212 by steviebwoy78
To clarify again an earlier point - if the Kickstarter target is not met, then no money is taken from project backers.

This is why I m slightly confused as to why Jon has aimed so high in terms of his target.

In some ways it would be better to have a target of, say, £100k so at least you get that if you hit it. I guess Jon has his reasons.
More
8 years 4 months ago #131214 by higgipoker

I can see both points of view on this one, but I definitely side with Mr Higgins again in terms of the fact that the Italian online version didn t have to build a complete game (dare I say, with career mode) at the same time as the online components.

It stems entirely from the use of the name SWOS if you ask me. The hardcore SWOS fan sees this project and objects because it has absolutely nothing to do with their beloved SWOS, yet their baby is being, dare I say, raped for the sake of promoting a new game (as it has been so many times before).

However... I think they are wrong this time and this time only. I think they have to be a bit smarter, and step into the inside, instead of viewing it as outsiders. They are not getting a clone of SWOS and they know it. However, they ARE getting a brand new game from the very designer who gave them SWOS in the first place. He s not trying to fool YOU into backing the game by invoking the name, he s trying to attract the casual player who might remember it vaguely, or read articles about the legendary best football game of all time. This is the power and value of the name, not in fooling hardcore fans into thinking we re getting a remake.

No, SWOS is gone, you are not getting a new one. Deal with it. What you are getting is an exciting NEW project from the very same mind that gave you the game you love so much. Isn t THAT something to be psyched about? Isn t it logical that if you liked his ideas back then, he might have some awesome NEW ideas that you ll like today?

That s my take on it anyway. I know it s hard to detect tone on msg boards so I hope I don t come across as an asshole, just passionate discussion :) We are all SWOS fans.
More
8 years 4 months ago #131216 by higgipoker
On another note, I sincerely hope his interview on Sky TV is rescheduled as promised. It may just be the shot in the arm the kickstarter needs.

You know what I would do? Make contact with Soccer AM. What a PERFECT platform for promoting the game, and I bet a lot of people involved with the show have Sensi memories.
8 years 4 months ago #131220 by ElMichaJ
yep, its a new game from jon, which is interesting
but for me as one of community founders only swos counts really ...

it looks currently like the pixel soccer kickstarter campaign ... same amount of money at the moment...
nice idea, but not swos

i am pretty sure about the following (but i can be wrong):

- build a swos with good netcode (like AMIGA or PC SWOS online)
- build online career like SWOS IT has done (i like this very much, great job!)
- build online competition like we have done (sensiblesoccer.de national and international leagues and cup)

all this 3 master features were built by the community, because the community wanted to have it.
So old SWOS with these 3 master features ... and you will get 150.000 pounds easily with jon hare as master

Hey Hey Hey .... El Micha J !!!
More
8 years 4 months ago #131221 by higgipoker

yep, its a new game from jon, which is interesting
but for me as one of community founders only swos counts really ...

it looks currently like the pixel soccer kickstarter campaign ... same amount of money at the moment...
nice idea, but not swos

i am pretty sure about the following (but i can be wrong):

- build a swos with good netcode (like AMIGA or PC SWOS online)
- build online career like SWOS IT has done (i like this very much, great job!)
- build online competition like we have done (sensiblesoccer.de national and international leagues and cup)

all this 3 master features were built by the community, because the community wanted to have it.
So old SWOS with these 3 master features ... and you will get 150.000 pounds easily with jon hare as master

Is Jon Hare an essential ingredient to this formula?
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #131222 by ElMichaJ
well ..... jon hare could help a lot ....
it is not a must, but if he would say: I wil do a new SWOS

it counts more than if I would say: I will do a new SWOS (i think)

as he was in berlin for Sensidays X it was great to see all swos players talking to him and he played in one pc group (and get no points^^).
he could be a magnetic point for all swos loaded players

More
8 years 4 months ago #131223 by higgipoker

well ..... jon hare could help a lot ....
it is not a must, but if he would say: I wil do a new SWOS

it counts more than if I would say: I will do a new SWOS (i think)

as he was in berlin for Sensidays X it was great to see all swos players talking to him and he played in one pc group (and get no points^^).
he could be a magnetic point for all swos loaded players

What I m getting at is, I m a professional game developer. You think you can raise 150k easy? Make me an offer! :)
  • steviebwoy78
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago #131227 by steviebwoy78

What I m getting at is, I m a professional game developer. You think you can raise 150k easy? Make me an offer! :)

8 years 4 months ago #131228 by ElMichaJ
well I cant raise that amount 150k, but Jon Hare can do this, if he would say: NEW SWOS

we have a lot of SWOS Clones already .... like 10 or so ... all had no big success.

I think a new SWOS made by Jon Hare AND Coders from community would be the best solution.... then we could reach the goal

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds