Re: Sociable Soccer - Jon Hare's new football game is on KICKSTARTER!

More
8 years 4 months ago #131113 by higgipoker

XBLA has the exact Amiga physic feeling! It just looks smoother (60z), just as the PC version of SWOS does.
And the goalkeepers are sort of a PC/Amiga mix.

That s cool, the developers deserve a lot of credit for getting the Amiga feel on the xbox! So, all we need is for someone to leak the xbox code! :)
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #131114 by barnettgs
Well, it seems I may be wrong about CPU/GPU if they have managed to do the Xbox 360 version just as good as the Amiga version although Jon said it is a faithful port. Also my error regarding the bug fixes were actually for Sensible Soccer 2006, not the xbox version!

What I was trying to say that newer retro games are taking advantages of using the modern features as well as modern online play. I was reading Dino s interview about his Kick-off and he said that he is doing it in 3D because it is actually easier to make games like that on these days and then he would put the camera a classic top-down approch as if it was the original. For new Kick-off game would have a full analogue control, unlike 8-directions.

Does the Xbox 360 version has a full analogue control? Just curious to know.

I hope Sociable Soccer will have full analogue control as it will make passing with more precision and control, therefore the gameplay gets more varied and skilled.

But there you are, Jon finally got the chance to do what he was trying to do for years.
More
More
8 years 4 months ago #131120 by Playaveli
*new board created / topic moved*
More
8 years 4 months ago #131124 by Retrieving

360 degree stick, 8 directional D-pad and keyboard controls
Single button, dual button and full pad control schemes

Controls

As many of you will recall, Sensible Soccer used just a single button to control passing, shooting and tackling in a very elegant, intuitive way. This accessible and quick-to-learn control method will be available in Sociable Soccer, and for players more versed in modern football games, we’ll also be featuring a varied range of more complex control methods, splitting actions across the entire controller and allowing nuanced control over your team.

This has me worried to be honest.

I wonder, how are they going to balance out the fact that some people will be playing with classic controls (and will thus be limited to 8 directions and, supposedly, a sort of context-sensitive action-button) as opposed to the 360° multi-button approach of modern games, like, is it going to feel like Manual/Auto controls on FIFA? How isn t this going to end up favoring a certain control scheme over the other during multiplayer matches?

Seems like one helluva headache to balance.
More
8 years 4 months ago #131125 by higgipoker

360 degree stick, 8 directional D-pad and keyboard controls
Single button, dual button and full pad control schemes

Controls

As many of you will recall, Sensible Soccer used just a single button to control passing, shooting and tackling in a very elegant, intuitive way. This accessible and quick-to-learn control method will be available in Sociable Soccer, and for players more versed in modern football games, we’ll also be featuring a varied range of more complex control methods, splitting actions across the entire controller and allowing nuanced control over your team.

This has me worried to be honest.

I wonder, how are they going to balance out the fact that some people will be playing with classic controls (and will thus be limited to 8 directions and, supposedly, a sort of context-sensitive action-button) as opposed to the 360° multi-button approach of modern games, like, is it going to feel like Manual/Auto controls on FIFA? How isn t this going to end up favoring a certain control scheme over the other during multiplayer matches?

Seems like one helluva headache to balance.

Agreed. A similar thing happened with EA s Fight Night. Their brilliant new analog punching system made it a game of real skill, and impossible to button mash... you had to actually gesture with the stick to pull off different punches... but they also allowed you to use an old style scheme with each punch just mapped to a button! This made it a completely different game and the innovative control scheme was USELESS online against someone button mashing.

Again, I want to say that Hare has earned our support, but this just smells of indecision and lazy design at the moment.
More
8 years 4 months ago #131158 by HairFU
It does not look like Sociable Soccer will reach it s goal of 300.000 £. Only 24.000 £ since 4 days. That seems not that much if you wana have that much money. I think it`s because Sensible Soccer and SWOS was only a big number in europe, but they nearly miss out completly the north american continent as I think footbal games are not really succesfull there.
More
8 years 4 months ago #131162 by xflea
that ain t no swos football game...

:P
More
8 years 4 months ago #131164 by higgipoker

It does not look like Sociable Soccer will reach it s goal of 300.000 £. Only 24.000 £ since 4 days. That seems not that much if you wana have that much money. I think it`s because Sensible Soccer and SWOS was only a big number in europe, but they nearly miss out completly the north american continent as I think footbal games are not really succesfull there.

I said the day it started that he s overestimated the fan base and would be lucky to hit 50k. SWOS is practically unknown in the USA. And it s not even as popular as people think it is in Europe.

Ron Gilbert is a worldwide gaming institution with a string of genuine game changing (pardon the pun) titles to his name and he only targeted about 300k. Sorry to say Hare is not even in the same league.

Again, just to clarify, Hare has earned OUR support by giving us SWOS, our favourite game of all time and I m fully behind him and his new project. Just being realistic.
  • steviebwoy78
  • steviebwoy78's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #131165 by steviebwoy78

I said the day it started that he s overestimated the fan base and would be lucky to hit 50k. SWOS is practically unknown in the USA. And it s not even as popular as people think it is in Europe.

Ron Gilbert is a worldwide gaming institution with a string of genuine game changing (pardon the pun) titles to his name and he only targeted about 300k. Sorry to say Hare is not even in the same league.

Again, just to clarify, Hare has earned OUR support by giving us SWOS, our favourite game of all time and I m fully behind him and his new project. Just being realistic.

To be fair, it doesn t take a genius to work out that £300k is a pretty unrealistic target. That said, I think you underestimate the power of nostalgia. If Jon had just come out and said We re updating Sensible Soccer for 2015 I think people would ve signed up in their thousands. Give it retro graphics, retro gameplay and the retro Sensi vibe but give it online and local multiplayer and that s all you need.

But sadly, Jon didn t do that. He called it Sociable Soccer.. even I cringed when I first heard it. It just sounds like a Facebook game. There s far too much talk of avatars and clans on the KS page. Jon has since rectified this, but I can t help but feel like he s lost a massive chunk of investment right at the very start of the campaign. I d be sorry to see how many pages hits he failed to convert into backers as I suspect it s a heck of a lot.

I visited a friend of mine this weekend who said that he d heard about the campaign (he s a pretty casual gamer), but looked at the KS page and assumed it was just some kind of online-only game. He said he looked at the page for a minute or so while the video was playing and then closed the tab when he heard avatars and clans. I think that s the problem Jon has in calling the game Sociable Soccer and giving it such an social network feel.

OG SWOS didn t have online, it was a single player (or 2 player) game, so to give it such a multiplayer/online focus is a really dodgy move, given that most of the target audience don t give a monkeys about it. Yes, Jon has corrected this now, but I think he s missed out on stacks of cash purely based of the misconstrued focus.
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds