Re: Sociable Soccer - Jon Hare's new football game is on KICKSTARTER!

• steviebwoy78
  • steviebwoy78's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #131308 by steviebwoy78

Out of interest, can you point me to a 2d game of that era where the ball does strange and unpredictable things. Would love to take a look!

Sierra Soccer! You could curve the ball to the moon... ;)

Here is the trailer from WoF:
[flash=500,400]www.youtube.com/v/85-gPMKeQTw[/flash]

This was released on Facebook wasn t it? I remember playing it with a mouse, and it was terrible! I was in touch with the devs quite a bit during developement.

It looked great, I wish they d just released it as a standalone PC game :\
The topic has been locked.
  • steviebwoy78
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #131309 by steviebwoy78

Oh cool, that s great news! :) That also makes the idea of releasing a new SWOS with updated visuals and online play impossible though - SWOS is all about the physics, so just converting from 8D to Full 360 would change the whole game. I don t think that it d be a good business idea either. Jon Hare mentioned the word franchise somewhere, so with that in mind I think it s better to start from the scratch and keep building on that. Who knows, this could turn out to be better than SWOS!

Tommyboo! Wow, that s a blast from the past! :D! Ola buddy!
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #131317 by atchoo
There s a new video and it s a promising one, I have to say.

[flash=500,400]www.youtube.com/v/8LzWVHN6Arc[/flash]
More
8 years 5 months ago #131318 by higgipoker
Ball physics don t seem as good as amiga SWOS.

Just kidding ;)

Not a lot to go on, but certainly looks fast-paced and fluid.

One thing I m never fond of (similar to the issue with controls I mentioned before) is the option to change the camera angle. Sounds great on the face of it, but often you ll find that one particular angle will give an advantage over all the rest, so when playing online you ll find yourself forced into using this angle so as not to handicap yourself, whether it makes the game more fun or not.

I think the camera angle is a design choice that fundamentally affects the gameplay. The designer should be bold and force the gaming experience to fit his vision.
More
8 years 5 months ago #131319 by atchoo
I don t know... If the game will be glitch-free I think it won t be so important.
  • steviebwoy78
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #131321 by steviebwoy78
The camera jerks look very much like the same camera jerks from Sensible Soccer 2006. Just an observation.
More
8 years 5 months ago #131326 by higgipoker
My first game in about 15 years... ball physics are much better than the Amiga emulators! Real men play genuine Amiga SWOS! ;)

P.S. Check out their second goal! Poetry in motion.

More
8 years 5 months ago #131327 by Rock and Roll
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #131328 by Retrieving

ball physics are much better than the Amiga emulators!

Ball physics are exactly the same though, down to the point that I can perform the same exact headers-combo from kick-off back to back, off of muscle-memory alone, on both WinUAE and Amiga, if I m training offline and I don t have to adjust for latency... what you might ve been experiencing is, going on a wild guess here, the lack of refresh lag that comes from playing on a CRT monitor, as opposed to a LCD one, only thing I could think of off the top of my head, although I m not sure how that s gonna affect ball physics, but I can see how you might be under the impression that it does.

Also, what does this have to do with this thread again? Must be a slow day.
More
8 years 5 months ago #131329 by higgipoker

ball physics are much better than the Amiga emulators!

Ball physics are exactly the same though, down to the point that I can perform the same exact headers-combo from kick-off back to back, off of muscle-memory alone, on both WinUAE and Amiga, if I m training offline and I don t have to adjust for latency... what you might ve been experiencing is, going on a wild guess here, the lack of refresh lag that comes from playing on a CRT monitor, as opposed to a LCD one, only thing I could think of off the top of my head, although I m not sure how that s gonna affect ball physics, but I can see how you might be under the impression that it does.

Also, what does this have to do with this thread again? Must be a slow day.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic about the ball physics. Just a bit of fun! :)
Time to create page: 0.306 seconds