Advantages / disadvantages controllers: joystick vs keyboard vs gamepad

More
9 years 11 months ago #124117 by captaincofresi
Thanks again :). I do own the Gravis Gamepad Classic (not the pro) and am considering to give it a spin in single player, if it still works that is. It s currently being checked by my brother who still owns several old PC s. About a year ago I did try an arcade type USB joystick that looked similar to the Competition Pro, but that just wasn t a good fit for me. Since I ve never played with any controller like that before. I do like the self-made keypads by Djowger, although don t know if I ll go that far ;).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago #124131 by ElMichaJ
for increasing skill and your own game quality i would tell to play some games with all types of controllers ...

i have made that in former times and i play with two controllers atm.

some moves are easier, some are harder with one type of controller ...

for example: the switch of left to right one keypad is faster than with joystick or joypad.

if you can see, whats your opponents controller, you can better prepare for some moves from him ...

like Sun Tzu (a bit SWOSsed): knowing your opponents playing style (and popular moves) ...

Hey Hey Hey .... El Micha J !!!

More
9 years 11 months ago #124238 by captaincofresi
I just stick to keyboard and play agains the Amiga on PC, with my frequency of play it s still challenging enough. And probably want to get a Gravis Gamepad somewhere cheap second-hand. Still I would need a good converter to USB for this, or are there other solutions that are cheaper? Since I only got PCI slots, so I wondered if there would be soundcards with a gameport for PCI? Any suggestions would help for me here. I am located in The Netherlands, if that helps in case of shipping costs ;).

More
9 years 11 months ago #124243 by Playaveli
Good USB adapter for gameport joysticks/pads are around 10 Euros! Fair price!

More
9 years 11 months ago #124260 by captaincofresi
Yeah 10 euros is a good price, I thought they might be more expensive than that. Thanks!

More
8 years 1 month ago #132494 by sokratees9
Hi guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this seemed appropriate, and I didn t think it warranted a new thread.

I ve been getting back on the sensi band wagon over the last year or so, but am in the USA, so too far away to play online with anyone. I ve been using a Buffalo classic gamepad for now ( www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Classic-USB-Gamepad-PC/dp/B002B9XB0E ), and while it does the job, I think there must be something better out there. Been thinking of picking up a Gravis gamepad. Does anyone have experience with both? Does one feel better than the other? And what about the Gravis pro?

Also I ve bought a 9-pin to usd converter so I can try my old controllers from my amiga, megadrive controllers plus a bug joystick (if I can find it it looks like this )

Is there any lag due to the converter?

Any recommended usb joysticks I should try apart from the Quickshot or turbo pro? Or are there good modern usb versions of those available. I bought one (turbo pro) a few years ago, and ended up giving it to a friend as it didn t feel right. Maybe I didn t give it enough time.

Can quite commit my self to keys yet...

More
8 years 1 month ago #132495 by higgipoker
Recently got myself a Bug for Amiga sensi too... :)

Apart from that, my favorite was always the Cruiser. It s awesome for Sensi and allows you to adjust the stiffness of the shaft (tehehe) to suit your preference.

More
8 years 1 month ago #132502 by atchoo

Is there any lag due to the converter?

Raphnet and RetroUSB should be lag free.

Replicas of classic joystick aren t so good, don t buy them.

More
8 years 1 week ago #132806 by Itchy1910
Hey guys. Does anybody know this old gamepad?

I loved it as i was a child and i really would like to play again with it. Does anybody has an idea, where to get it? :)

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #132809 by djowGer

Hey guys. Does anybody know this old gamepad?

I loved it as i was a child and i really would like to play again with it. Does anybody has an idea, where to get it? :)

Hey man

It is called Techno Plus TP 511 . Look it up on ebay .de .co.uk .nl etc. Maybe you get lucky. :)
However there are quite a few good gamepads out there. I know a lot of the top players use the Gravis PC Gamepad (Playaveli, Bomb, Lemonheadiv, Emmeti to name a few).

Looks like this:

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds