Better connection wins the game!

More
15 years 2 months ago #58732 by RobChef
I remember Ottoman playing spectacular style with horrible pings. So it is possible, but of course a little bit harder.
The topic has been locked.
More
15 years 2 months ago #59103 by Kyon
I think that is a bit possible because a laggy game playing is very boring
More
15 years 2 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #59172 by _sox_
sox s thought:

man with less ping can react faster than man with high ping, but, to move again he need to wait for the ~= pingtime of his opponent.
for example:

player X with ping = 10ms
player Y with ping = 80ms

clients are in listen mode.when the game started the server send an output with an input requiest to clients, and set itself in listen mode.
player X recive this input in 5ms, hit the arrow or fire button and send this data to the server in other 5ms. after that, the client set itself in listen mode for a new cycle.
meanwhile:
player Y recive this input in 40ms, hit the arrow or fire button and send this data to the server in other 40ms.after that, the client set itself in listen mode .

if server did not recived all clients input: DESYNC/DROP/OTHER, otherwise it elaborate the data and send another output to all clients.

i mean, player X can move after only 5ms but he must wait other 75ms to see move his players [from server to Y (40) + from Y to server (40) - from X to server (5) ].

well, if what i said it s correct, there is no a relevant advantage for a lower or higher ping, there is advantage only for an habit user who play often with a bad ping.

...bullshit or not??
More
15 years 2 months ago #59178 by daimaou
All I can say is that you notice a BIG difference between playing with high or low pings on server regardless your opponents pings. Don t know exactly how this works behind the curtain, but lower ping players do have advantage on server.
  • sensipla
  • sensipla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 1 month ago #61388 by sensipla
Replied by sensipla on topic Re: Better connection wins the game!
I cant play in arena because I´ve got high ping (I found it is poviders problem in last couple of months) and to change provider doesnt make sense because the rest of them which are available in my locality offer same or similar quality (I am talking about ping now, everything else is almost perfect with my provider). When playing P2P everything is perfect, except games with few polish players, games were little lagy (very lagy with two of them).

Is there some way how to make p2p play more smooth?
And why some players offer playing in arena when it has more disadvantages than p2p (same conditions for both)?
More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #61392 by Retrieving

Yes there is, it s called dropping Kaillera in favor of a most recent and technoloically advanced netplay middleware such as GGPO or 2df .

Never going to happen though, I have already asked on the GGPO and 2df forum to feature Sensible World of Soccer but neither of them gave two shits since, apparently, our playerbase ain t large enough (therefore they d rather stick with beat em ups 2D and ridicolous danmaku-wannabe shmups which seem to bring forth huge turnouts day in, day out).
More
15 years 4 weeks ago #61413 by daimaou

And why some players offer playing in arena when it has more disadvantages than p2p (same conditions for both)?

p2p should be smooth if you re connection is ok. I tried p2p vs brazilian players for example and even though pings are really high the game runs smooth.
Because players closer to arena will always get better pings there than with p2p vs a distant opponent that s why some prefer playing on server, they will get ping advantage that way. p2p is fair since everyone plays with same pings (as long as pings are not too high of course, this will make the game random and unplayable).

Yes there is, it s called dropping Kaillera in favor of a most recent and technoloically advanced netplay middleware such as GGPO or 2df .

I think biggest problem is pings really, kaillera in p2p mode works pretty well imo, I barely get any desyncs or breaks during play. And afaik changing middleware would do nothing regarding pings. What would make those 2 that better than kaillera? I don t know them that s why I m asking.
More
15 years 4 weeks ago #61429 by Kanu

What would make those 2 that better than kaillera? I don t know them that s why I m asking

GGPO is a networking library that game developers can use to add networked gameplay support to arcade style games. GGPO s latency hiding techniques give each player a gameplay experience that is nearly indistinguishable from playing with their friends locally, even against players around the world

I ve never tried it...
More
15 years 4 weeks ago #61434 by Playaveli

Anyone ever tried that option: ???

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #61439 by daimaou
@Playa : Not really and I think they are kinda useless as what that does is to add extra delay frames (seems it can help when you are having small ping spikes during the match, but you do get extra delay frames...):

When starting a P2P match, watch the ping between you and your opponent. If you see it jump from say a 40 ping to a 300 ping for a brief moment, chances are a similar spike will occur during the game and cause a desync. Now if you are only seeing small fluctuations, it should be fine. However, there are smoothing options present with the P2P client that the host of the game can select and are useful for smaller ping spikes:

- If near UB adds 8ms to your ping time before the delay is locked in.
- Always adds an extra frame of delay.
- Extra adds an extra two frames of delay.

GGPO is a networking library that game developers can use to add networked gameplay support to arcade style games. GGPO s latency hiding techniques give each player a gameplay experience that is nearly indistinguishable from playing with their friends locally, even against players around the world

eheh that description from them is a great promotional statement :D
Question is would it work fine in a game like swos? You can play fighting games fine with some frameskips, swos is completely different though. I always suspect of this lag free solutions, I mean latency is something that exists and you just can t really decrease it no matter how many hiding techniques you use. I ve never seen any of this tools working fine so far.
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds