Re: SWOS remake art & opinions wanted

• Masakari
  • Masakari's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago #111342 by Masakari
SWOS remake art & opinions wanted was created by Masakari
As a big fan of both Sensi and the 2007 Xbox Live Arcade version, back in 2010 I did some mockups of what I would do to SWOS if they did an updated version (with more than just graphics). You can check them out at my deviantART gallery for it .

I also did a brief design doc / plan with added features the game would have, as the XBLA version is mainly 720p graphics and little else. I believe SWOS doesn t need to be forever set in stone - improvement is not desecration, and I believe part of the lack of commercial appeal these days is because they haven t updated the rest of the game to match more modern feature sets and conventions - improved graphics with more kit and stadium detail, unique stadiums, expanded manager features, better / more sound fx, properly implemented online, web media integration for sharing replays and screenshots, etc.

The plan also included expanding SWOS from Sensible World of Soccer to Sensible World of Sports , adding, over the years, Futsal, Ice Hockey, Rink Hockey, and Tennis - this idea served a triple purpose:

+ grow the game beyond soccer, as a multi-sports franchise
+ added value to purchasing yearly updates
+ there was already Sensible Golf, and I believe the Sensi template (fun, simple to pickup hard to master gameplay) would work great in other sports as well

I simply don t understand why Codemasters crapped all over the XBLA version, and doesn t do anything with the franchise. Of course, it s hard for me to even talk to someone about this, as it s either spam folder or no reply. Some russian studio licensed Cannon Fodder and are doing a 3rd one just for the Russian market... in 3d. I don t know how they managed to get hold of someone at Codemasters to look at it.

The point of my long post is... A) is this a lost cause?

B) Am I better off trying to develop this idea into it s own thing (I ve been thinking the name Pixel Soccer and Pixel Sports sounds apropriate, for PC / Mac / Tablets)?

C) Would it even be possible or would I get sued by Codemasters (mind you, all pixel art is done by me and not taken from any source, photos on the background would be licenced), since the game is very similar to SWOS?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading, any feedback would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #111344 by Playaveli
Your concept art looks fantastic!!

11 years 10 months ago #111345 by ElMichaJ
well this looks amazing and its a very good concept

i think we can support you a little bit (more)

maybe let us talk by skype or facebook: elmichaj

Hey Hey Hey .... El Micha J !!!

More
11 years 10 months ago #111346 by Bomb
@masakari:
the remake shall be coded in c++, java, something else?

who will code it? :)

cheers, fantastic idea!

• Masakari
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago #111349 by Masakari
Replied by Masakari on topic Re: SWOS remake art & opinions wanted
Thanks guys.

@ElMichaJ: added you to Facebook (I m João Campos Costa).

@Bomb: well, I m still trying to figure that out, hence my questions in the original post.

Ideally... if Codemasters would be interested in licencing SWOS like they did Cannon Fodder, the game would be built upon the base of old SWOS, like the XBLA version was.

Failing that, in case that isn t possible and / or I decide to do it as it s own IP, I was thinking of using Unity (which is C# and has powerful editing tools). I regularly work with a programmer, although I m not sure if he s interested in this, he s not a big soccer fan nor Sensi fan.

Would really love to know what Jon Hare thinks about this, since he was also involved in the XBLA version.

More
11 years 10 months ago #111356 by Synchronated
This looks amazing. Hit me up if you need player data as I have an enormous database of SWOS players and clubs by now.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #111357 by djowGer
Here is what Codemasters are currently using the sensible soccer brand for:

i dont know if i should laugh or cry :/

very nice concept art indeed. i like the idea of five-a-side soccer mod or a game by itself based on the xbla. and the mix of swos, football manager and fifa. i really wish codies could see more potential in this game too like you and so many others from this site. I mean i don t see it as the new modern warfare or fifa 12, but ported to facebook or something similar with integrated netplay with only a few teams would still be enough for me. they could eg. make it free to play offline, but then charge a small amount each month to play online, like world of warcraft etc. the key essence of the game has always been the gameplay, new graphics or not.

• Masakari
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago #111380 by Masakari
Replied by Masakari on topic Re: SWOS remake art & opinions wanted
Ouch, that is indeed very sad djowger ???

I was in a creative mood and decided to do all the official Euro 2012 Kits. My return to Project SENSI art since 2010.

You can view it here (deviantART link) .

Anyone have any ideas / legal advice / thoughts on how I should proceed with this? Nobody really answered my question, is it even worthwhile to try and pursue Codies for licencing, or should I just develop this into my own IP?

More
11 years 10 months ago #111423 by Claudio
WOW! I want this game for PC! :D

More
11 years 5 months ago #114478 by Playaveli
Any progress?

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds