Re: SWOS remake art & opinions wanted

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #139409 by HairFU

here is the unpacked and edited default.xex file

file.io/eDxUsm

Is this just your own update or did you use official SWOS 16/17 update for the 360 Version?

Here it is, unpacked XBLA SWOS: mega.nz/#!3npiUYLC!o31OztpASM91C4w0qFqZ4HDeMT7VNJeIk6zU09MVceU

Is it easy to update to SWOS 16/17 version (like we used in Amiga SWOS online Version) and get it back to Xbox 360, so that we can play it on 360 with real player names and so on? What did I have to do, to convert the files back to working Xbox 360 structure, after I have swapp the files?

By the way. Nice Idea try to make a new version based on old SWOS source code :) A few years ago I had the same idea (www.sensiblesoccer.de/forum/index.php?topic=24849.0). To bad there was not much reaction and a few of them was very negative about it.
If there will be a serious effort to get on license the code of SWOS to make an new game with same gameplay feeling like Amiga/PC/Xbox 360 Version, I really would support it :)

Just for an Idea of the new version, it should not be different in any way. Just expand the game. For example DIY tournament on Amiga and PC Version is limited to 64 teams. Maybe expand it to 400 tems (or even best let alloud all teams in SWOS Database play in one tournament if possible). Or carrer mode. You should not limit it to 20 seasons, make it unlimited. Adapt Champions League in carrer mode to nowdays format (also with qualification round for smaller countrys and so on). Adapt 5 years ranking into the virtual would of SWOS and so on.
Graphics? Don t change style of graphics in game (just make it with a higher resolution , like 360 Version did). Menu? Just let the style of the menu as it is. Just expand it with new option on old style of menu. SWOS should be look and feel just like Amiga and PC Version of 96, just with modern touch but not with different graphic or gameplay style otherwise it is in danger to not feel the same.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Masakari
  • Masakari's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #139410 by Masakari
Replied by Masakari on topic Re: SWOS remake art & opinions wanted

Here it is, unpacked XBLA SWOS: mega.nz/#!3npiUYLC!o31OztpASM91C4w0qFqZ4HDeMT7VNJeIk6zU09MVceU

Is it easy to update to SWOS 16/17 version (like we used in Amiga SWOS online Version) and get it back to Xbox 360, so that we can play it on 360 with real player names and so on? What did I have to do, to convert the files back to working Xbox 360 structure, after I have swapp the files

Not the best person to answer this as I m an artist, not a programmer, but there s a few steps to this:

1) I just plugged my 360, copied SWOS to a flash drive, then took it to my PC and used two utilities to extract the files, namely Party Buffalo 2.0.1.0 to extract the signed package and then wxPirs to unpack the archive file and finally access it s contents. None of this requires a cracked/JTAG Xbox 360.

2) Using whatever you use on your PC (for programming or art, like VisualStudio or Photoshop or a hex editor) you edit the files you want to edit.

3) Using these applications and/or others which you can find here , you then repack the game into the 360 archive file and re-inject it back into usable form, but then you ll need JTAG/hacked console to run it. There s other particularities for example, I think if you re just hacking save files you don t need to use JTAG, but again, that forum and/or programmers could probably tell you this with more confidence than I do.

I believe someone, somewhere, once made a 2011/2012 update for XBLA SWOS but I never tried it and I don t have it. It may be possible to just edit the SWOS save file (which I THINK includes the Edit Mode info) to update rosters, but not skills and stuff like that).

@petarku: download link isn t working for me.

@HairFU: I read that thread, you basically got into a discussion with Retrieving who is very anti-KS. I don t love KS but I have seen the potencial in crowdfunding, and realistically how do you get the 30k required for the license? How would you get the 100k (for example) required for full development? I know some business angels / entrepreneurs but it s a stretch to get financing, specially when you consider all the versions of the last 20 years flopped (the awful 3d one from 98, Sensi 2006 and SWOS XBLA). No idea how many copies the Gog.com official SWOS 96/97 version has sold.

You would need massive goodwill from Codemasters as well, like Sega and other publishers have worked with fans in the past, would they rather sit for 10+ years on an IP, devaluing it and not doing anything with it, or give a proper fan project a shot at reviving the franchise?

As far as changes, there s always gonna be disagreements between people. Gameplay is of course essential and the reason why SWOS clones / inspired games don t cut it, but I disagree with you regarding UI and other stuff - you do something that fits the tone of Sensi (aka art direction) but it needs to change and evolve, there s been many advancements in UIX and how we understand usability and interaction, the Sensi UI is pre-historic nowadays.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #139411 by HairFU

@HairFU: I read that thread, you basically got into a discussion with Retrieving who is very anti-KS. I don t love KS but I have seen the potencial in crowdfunding, and realistically how do you get the 30k required for the license? How would you get the 100k (for example) required for full development? I know some business angels / entrepreneurs but it s a stretch to get financing, specially when you consider all the versions of the last 20 years flopped (the awful 3d one from 98, Sensi 2006 and SWOS XBLA).

You would need massive goodwill from Codemasters as well, like Sega and other publishers have worked with fans in the past, would they rather sit for 10+ years on an IP, devaluing it and not doing anything with it, or give a proper fan project a shot at reviving the franchise?

To be true, I am not a big fan of spending money on prducts that are even not startet (or at least I allways was waiting for other persons to spend money on an interessting project there). At least it is a way to have the chance to collect money. I think it doesen t matter how you collect money in order to make a project, that is not out yet, people allways will have to trust you if make on kickstarter or make anywhere else.

You are right. Is it possible in any way to get Codemasters to handle out the source code of SWOS (or at least make it possible to mak one big new version based on SWOS source code)? What is needed? Was 300k only special offer for Jon Hare or ist it possible to get the license for everyone that is willing to pay 300k?

I think for the way the game and menu will look like, there should be some mock-up before so you now exactly what is planed. I am not sure if I would like it if it would look to much different from old Amiga and PC SWOS versions. (hope we all agree that gameplay should not be touched besided of some improvings, without letting down any core gameplay of old version).

So, do you have any serious plan to going to ask codemasters or what is you idea behind this? Just have a look how is the reaction in SWOS community or just some talkings about dreaming of new version? :)

• petarku
  • petarku's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #139412 by petarku
Replied by petarku on topic Re: SWOS remake art & opinions wanted
Is this just your own update or did you use official SWOS 16/17 update for the 360 Version?

this is only patched xex file (like sws.exe on pc) that has mozg tactics instead of original and serbia instead of yugoslavia.

I have on my xbox 16/17 community update that is working fine with no career crash , I can upload it somewhere.

@Masakari you are right , sorry about that
here is the new link to patched default.xex on my google drive
drive.google.com/file/d/1YYIeW9825BQUimi...aZs/view?usp=sharing

• petarku
  • petarku's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #139414 by petarku
Replied by petarku on topic Re: SWOS remake art & opinions wanted

@HairFU: I read that thread, you basically got into a discussion with Retrieving who is very anti-KS. I don t love KS but I have seen the potencial in crowdfunding, and realistically how do you get the 30k required for the license? How would you get the 100k (for example) required for full development? I know some business angels / entrepreneurs but it s a stretch to get financing, specially when you consider all the versions of the last 20 years flopped (the awful 3d one from 98, Sensi 2006 and SWOS XBLA).

To be true, I am not a big fan of spending money on prducts that are even not startet (or at least I allways was waiting for other persons to spend money on an interessting project there). At least it is a way to have the chance to collect money. I think it doesen t matter how you collect money in order to make a project, that is not out yet, people allways will have to trust you if make on kickstarter or make anywhere else.

You are right. Is it possible in any way to get Codemasters to handle out the source code of SWOS (or at least make it possible to mak one big new version based on SWOS source code)? What is needed? Was 300k only special offer for Jon Hare or ist it possible to get the license for everyone that is willing to pay 300k?

I think for the way the game and menu will look like, there should be some mock-up before so you now exactly what is planed. I am not sure if I would like it if it would look to much different from old Amiga and PC SWOS versions. (hope we all agree that gameplay should not be touched besided of some improvings, without letting down any core gameplay of old version).

So, do you have any serious plan to going to ask codemasters or what is you idea behind this? Just have a look how is the reaction in SWOS community or just some talkings about dreaming of new version? :)

do we have anyone that have access to codemasters to check about the licence fee at the moment and what they think about community release of game? Playaveli was mentioning in the other thread that licence from codemasters cost 30k
, i think the number was coming from John, playa can confirm.
If we will get somehow licence i was thinking that community can develop it in incremental way on steam early access.

first iteration , same gameplay just steam version that is working on new windows and mac
second iteration, third iteration (whatever community decide , proper network code probably, art etc)

it is the question how many developers we have in the community willing to take it as it seems to me the most people that are willing to help are not coders.

• Masakari
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #139415 by Masakari

No one can do it alone, I m not gonna go on a solitary crusade on this because I know where those end (in burnout and sadness lol). I m trying to see:

1) if there is interest in the community
2) if the community can unite behind a serious try at this aka form a dev team
3) if both of those are true, what would be required for the project to kickoff
4) knowing that, decide the best course of action
5) actually develop the damn thing

do we have anyone that have access to codemasters to check about the licence fee at the moment and what they think about community release of game? Playaveli was mentioning in the other thread that licence from codemasters cost 30k
, i think the number was coming from John, playa can confirm.
If we will get somehow licence i was thinking that community can develop it in incremental way on steam early access.

first iteration , same gameplay just steam version that is working on new windows and mac
second iteration, third iteration (whatever community decide , proper network code probably, art etc)

it is the question how many developers we have in the community willing to take it as it seems to me the most people that are willing to help are not coders.

Very good questions I would like answered.

Is the 30k figure true? What is the exact amount?

Would Codemasters support a fan project or would they be greedy (like they were with the Russian guys for Cannon Fodder 3) and just want the money? Sega didn t charge the Sonic Mania guys anything at first, they just gave them permission to work on the project and eventually they proved they could do it and the game was digitally published by Sega, was a success, and is now seeing a physical release and expanded version. And that s a bigger publisher (Sega) on a very valuable franchise (Sonic). Depends on what Codemasters want to do, these days they just pump out 1 or 2 racing games.

Does anyone have a way to reach them aside from the usual dead-end public channels?

There seem to be several programmers in the community, but they seem to all be busy doing their own clone / inspired game.

More
5 years 10 months ago #139423 by HairFU

this is only patched xex file (like sws.exe on pc) that has mozg tactics instead of original and serbia instead of yugoslavia.

I have on my xbox 16/17 community update that is working fine with no career crash , I can upload it somewhere.

Sure, If it is the same version of 16/17 like we use for Amiga SWOS online, it would be great.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #139429 by Playaveli

Very good questions I would like answered.

Is the 30k figure true? What is the exact amount?

Would Codemasters support a fan project or would they be greedy (like they were with the Russian guys for Cannon Fodder 3) and just want the money? Sega didn t charge the Sonic Mania guys anything at first, they just gave them permission to work on the project and eventually they proved they could do it and the game was digitally published by Sega, was a success, and is now seeing a physical release and expanded version. And that s a bigger publisher (Sega) on a very valuable franchise (Sonic). Depends on what Codemasters want to do, these days they just pump out 1 or 2 racing games.

Does anyone have a way to reach them aside from the usual dead-end public channels?

There seem to be several programmers in the community, but they seem to all be busy doing their own clone / inspired game.

30k should be still quite spot-on. Plus/minus a few hundreds, depending on values/currencies etc...

Apart from the public channels (useless, correct!) you can always try to connect the producers themselves (also check PS below).
For example the XBLA SWOS producers from Codemasters:
uk.linkedin.com/in/simon-humphreys-a2320b3 (seems like he left Codemasters already)
www.linkedin.com/in/adammottram

Codemasters would demand royalities from game sales, around 30%, i.e. a third!
Support? Rather not.
Pay them the license money, to get the code and the rights to mess with it, and then pay them royalties from game sales. The rest is your/our problem! :P

PS: List of people involved in XBLA SWOS (you can look them up easily on linkedIn or elsewhere)

Kuju Sheffield SWOS Xbox LIVE Arcade Team
Mark Adamson
Stoo Cambridge
Roger Godfrey
Derek Johnson
Chris Williams

Network Programmer
Mike Montgomery

Assisted by
Darrell Blake
Sarah Cook
Simeon Pashley
John M Phillips
Dave Tolley

QA Manager
Asad Habib

Lead QA
Ian Sanderson
Darren Sellars

QA
Gary Johnson
Mat Nicholas
Patrick Shanahan

Executive Management
Ian Baverstock
Jonathan Newth

Production Director
Mike Cox

CODEMASTERS

Production Team
Producer: Simon Humphreys
Production Assistant: Adam Mottram

COG Management Team
Vice President and General Manager of Codemasters Online Gaming: David Solari
Director, Online Games: Jim Brown
Director, Marketing: Ed Relf
Head of Online: Adam Hance

Marketing Team
Product Management: Ed Blincoe
Community Liaison Team: James Rhodes, Tim Hodges
Web Editor: Peer Lawther

Development Services
QA Manager: Eddy Di Luccio
QA Test Team: Simon Wykes, Stephen Terry, Jason Leckie, Simon Williams, Adriano Rizzo
Compliance: Gary Cody, Martin Hawkins, Neil Martin, Kevin Blakeman
Audio Lead: Jethro Dunn

Customer Support Team
Rob Meeks,Paul Leonard, Annabel Thé, Dominic Herring, Melissa Swaby

Special Thanks:
Steven Smith, Purple Sensi, Sensiblesoccer.de, Sensible.dk, and the Entire SWOS Community.

• Masakari
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #139443 by Masakari
Thanks Playaveli, I had seen that list in the XBLA files. I ll see what I can do, I have LinkedIn Premium so I can network with them, although I m not expecting much.

I wish I came back to this around 18 months ago when I had that kind of money available... then I bought a new house, so that s not an option anymore. Having worked in game development a few years ago, 300k for Sociable might have seemed too much but I doubt it will end up costing less than 250k, games development is more expensive than people think even for simpler indie games.

I also think getting SWOS out there again doesn t cut it anymore. Heck, the 360 XBLA version even updated the graphics but it still wasn t enough, it needed updated rosters, good bug testing, a working multiplayer, updated sounds, a better UI, etc. Hence why I think the only way forward is keeping the gameplay but creating everything else from scratch.

I m working on new art for what a SWOS revamp would look like today, since my original art was done 8 years ago. Might be useful, might not, but I ll have fun and always enjoy doing Unreal Engine stuff.

More
5 years 10 months ago #139447 by HairFU
I am a bit confused. Do we talk about 30k or 300k?

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds