PC DOSBOX versus WINUAE

• zelig1965
  • zelig1965's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #96397 by zelig1965
PC DOSBOX versus WINUAE was created by zelig1965
Hi. I am very new to modulation although I am a veteran SWOS fan :) I was wondering what the various benefits of the PC DOSBOX version are versus the Amiga emulation on WINUAE. From what I have experienced so far it seems that the graphics and even controls are better on the WINUAE but perhaps it is easier to edit on the DOSBOX version. I am trying both and wondered what some of you experts think are the benefits of one versus the other. I also see a lot of posts regarding crashes after the end of a season in career mode. is there an update or version that avoids this? There are so many interesting posts on these boards it will take me a very long time to get through them all so aplogies if these questions are answered elsewhere.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #96399 by Synchronated
Crashes only happen if you ve edited the team data files and done something wrong.
(edit: that s the case for both versions)

I personally prefer the Amiga version, and in addition to that, WinUAE runs much smoother than dosbox SWOS on my machine (WinUAE is perfect emulation of A1200 setup). The PC version is also good if you can get it running smoothly though.

The Amiga version is tougher, higher-resolution and has better sound (the last one is subjective but I need that THUD when the ball hits the keeper/post :) ). It s also playable online.

• zelig1965
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #96401 by zelig1965
Replied by zelig1965 on topic Re: PC DOSBOX versus WINUAE
OK thanks. I certainly prefer the WinUAE version. So, I have just been reading another thread regarding crashes and updates. Is it only really safe to play with the original 96/97 teams to avoid crashes at season end? I notice that most update packs have other options such as the excellent Legends pack and then updated squads which are tempting but if they are liable to crash at season end I think I m off back to Dowie Radiciou for West Ham (could do with them now!). The Legends pack was great fun but I could never bring myself to transfer players out to other clubs :-\

More
13 years 5 months ago #96402 by Synchronated
None of my updates will crash at the end of the season. I m sure some others do, as not everyone is aware of all the things you can and can t do and get away with it!

Apart from the most recent version of 10/11, they use the original league structure with no changes to avoid crashes. The legends file is like this. You can play as normal as the game doesn t know anything has been changed.

In the most recent version of 10/11 (v2.2), I have changed the league structure to better represent current leagues but modified the Amiga and PC game files to avoid crashes (apparently successfully; none have been reported and I ve played many seasons with it myself).

• zelig1965
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #96403 by zelig1965
Great so if I download your updates I just need to replace the relevant files on the existing versions I have, right? I have downloaded a Total Pack for DOSBOX and one for WinUAE created by RO32X which seems to have lots of bits and pieces (most of which I dont know how to use) which seems to work fivery nicely but has also seemingly conflicted with a few of my existing programes.

Is there a total pack using WinUAE that you would recommend? I can see that the feedback on your work is very very good so would appreciate your advice.

Thanks for all your help :D

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #96404 by Synchronated
Yes, just replace the data files with mine. For the latest version, if you want the new league structures, you ll have to replace SWOS2 or SWS.exe as well.
It can be tricky with launchers to figure out exactly which files it s using at any one point. There s limited instructions for some situations in a text file with the update.

I don t think there are any better launchers than those two and RO32X builds my updates in, although I ve not tested that for the latest version. But I use my own config for the Amiga version.
I am putting all my Amiga files and WinUAE config on mediafire when I get home later; I ll post the link here.

• zelig1965
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #96412 by zelig1965
Oh that would be great. Thanks very much indeed.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #96414 by Mozg
Replied by Mozg on topic Re: PC DOSBOX versus WINUAE
I belong to the minority that prefers PC version rather than Amiga - the reason is that PC version just gives more possibilities - like comfortable updating squads, creating competitions with fixed groups and schedule (can be used to create realistic tournaments), putting my own tactics into the place of original ones to bring some freshness into the game (forcing computer to play with new style), and many more tricks connected with modifying files code that can really refresh the game. Also the gameplay is in my opinion better on PC (here I belong to the very small minority :) ) - I think goal situations are more differentiated and in general more kinds of actions can appear. The only advantage of Amiga gameplay is that there is larger part of the field visible.

Edit: Forgot to mention that sound on PC is also better (especially the new sound-sets made by fans and commentary) and lot of new graphics also made by fans available :)

• zelig1965
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #96415 by zelig1965
Well you are clearly able to do a lot more modification than I am so perhaps it is the case that PC will suit some people according to their ability to modify (and assuming that they like the gameplay).I first started with SWOS on the Amiga 500 so I guess I have a fondness for the look and feel of the WinUAE version. I also found the controller (I play with a PS2 controller) was terrible on DOSBOX but seems to work really well on the WinUAE although I have just dug out my old Gravis Gamepad so if I can find a gameport/usb adaptor I might give that a whirl too.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #96416 by Synchronated
@Mozg

There is no thud when the keeper saves or it hits the post. So the sound is subjective ;) for me that element is weak; it s one of my favourite things about the Amiga version. And editing the teams is the same for either, a bit if propacking aside.

You have good points about ease of modifying tournaments and tactics though, and what you re doing with those is really interesting. I had never considered modifying the default tactics in order that the CPU follows them. I guess you could modify the Amiga version in the same way but yeah, as far as I know no-one has yet figured out how.

I find dosbox-SWOS is not very smooth compared to a properly-synchronised (ie 50Hz framerate on a 50Hz display) supersmooth Amiga emulation though, and it won t run natively on anything after Windows XP (or at least I ve failed to get it to do so). PC version is only smooth on a PC that can actually run it. My old machines are all dead so I just don t play the PC version anymore. I still make PC versions of the updates and test the career mode processes without a crash using total-pack, that s it! :)

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds