Amiga SWOS Graphics - why we need an editor!

More
15 years 6 days ago #61624 by EreWeGo
Hi Horace,

cheers for the input mate. Yeah, still having the issue with the ball - I did check all the cjctemas files when making the mod, and there are a couple of sprites in the cjcteamg file that show the goalie with the ball in his hands, and obviously all the player sprites for the throw-in animations in the other cjcteam files.

The problem I had when editing was I could re-colour all the balls okay, including the goalie ones, but in-game, the graphics would do some funky things when showing the throw-in animations, and those two goalie ones...

I thought it must be to do wth the fact that the colours are used for the team kits, (so for example, in all the cjcteam files, the player sprites have yellow socks, which obviously get replaced in-game with the relevant kit colour etc). If I then had the ball colour with yellow in it, the colour would get confused during the throw-in animations etc...

I ll have another play, but the black and white looks pretty good anyway, with the new design etc.
:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 days ago - 15 years 4 days ago #61802 by HungryHorace
i see what you mean. i think you are right.

The palette for in-game has only two changing colours... which are basically for colouring the pitch according to the weather.

the kit-colours in SWOS are a full recolour of sprites appropriately, so perhaps, yes, anything used on the ball which also features in the generic (read red/blue stripes etc) kit, may be replaced.

Mega-Lo-Mania would not have this trouble, as there 4 colours are re-touched with an overlay of said-colour, rather than altering that which is there. 8)

as for Cannon Fodder, it s been so long since i ve looked at those sprites, i cant even remember, i think it just has a whole palette and a whole new sprite set for each new level type! :D

More
15 years 4 days ago #61814 by EreWeGo
Thanks for the technical explanation Horace, interesting stuff! :)

Yeah, it really is a shame that Sensible made SWOS so hard to edit/mod, compared to Cannon Fodder etc. I had another few tests, and just coloured a few pixels of the ball in the cjcteam files. I used red and yellow, and sure enough, when playing as say a team with red and blue kit, the pixels I changed showed as red and blue. Basically it looks like we can change the ball design, but keep it black and white, or if we colour the ball, then we have to either leave the throw-in animations using black and white, or put up with some pretty strange colours for the ball! :D

As I mentioned a while ago, this glitch seems to also affect the PC graphics mods out there - when I tried the Graffica mod in SWOS Total Pack, I noticed that the ball colour was changed, but reverted back to the black and white design for throw-ins as well.

Anyway, I ll keep messing about, but for now will probably just stick with the black and white ball, with new design etc.

More
14 years 11 months ago #62361 by Turko
EreWeGo if your planning on a next update, can you edit the menus too so it doesnt have 96-97 on it? Can you edit pitches too? If so maybe a white pitch for snow and a orange ball?

Thanks again for this.

More
14 years 11 months ago #62429 by EreWeGo
Hey Turko,

yep, editing the menus is definitely possible, I ll have a look at that. The ball can be coloured, but with the limitations as mentioned above. As far as the pitch...hmmmm, this might not be possible, but I ll have a look anyway...

More
14 years 9 months ago #68187 by Kyon
hey EreWeGo whats going on my friend ?

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds