Re: Amiga SWOS 96/97 on the XBOX

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #11466 by swoozh
Hello everyone,

I have an XBOX and I thought it will be fun to also play the old Sensible Soccer or SWOS on it. So I have tried a lot of things and now I have the following games running on the XBOX:
- SEGA Sensible soccer (Megadrive version)
- Amiga SWOS 96/97

For the people who are interested in this, I will now explain how I did this.

Some tech info
I have an modded XBOX. I have modded it with the Xecuter 2.6 chip, which I ordered at MrModchips . I have also build in a 250 GB Hard disk to store games and programs. I always play games from my harddisk, I start the games using the dashboard XBOX Mediacenter (XBMC).
I have connected my XBOX to my network, so I can copy files from my PC via my network to my XBOX Hard disk.

System Requirements
I think it s necessary to have an modded XBOX. I can not help you with this, search the internet and you find enough information about it!

Getting the emulator for the XBOX
On this website the emulator WinUAEXP is used to play Amiga SWOS 96/97 online, which is based on WinUAE . This is a program to play games from the Amiga.

For the XBOX there are a few people which are porting the emulators for the PC to the XBOX. Those people have also ported a version of WinUAE to the XBOX, which is called WinUAEX . This program can not downloaded on their website, so I have placed it online. Read below how you can download the .zip-file or the .iso-file, with the amiga disks of Amiga SWOS 96/97 included.

Getting the emulator working on the XBOX
There are two options to get the emulator working on your xbox:
  • Burn the emulator to CD/DVD
  • Copy the emulator to your harddisk

Burn the emulator to CD or DVD
I have made a ISO for this emulator (and rom), which can be downloaded here . Unzip it, and burn this ISO with your favorite CD/DVD-burner and then put the disk in your xbox.

NOTE: I have not tried this, so let me know if this works! Not every xbox can read burned CD s and/or DVD s, so check that first!

Copy the emulator to your harddisk
Download the .zip file of the emulator and the Amiga disks here . Unzip it first, then copy it to your XBOX.
I have copied it this way: I have connected my XBOX to my internal network and then copied the directory from my PC to my XBOX Hard disk. I started the emulator via XBMC.

Starting up the game
Start the game by insert the CD or DVD in the XBOX or start the emulator from the harddisk. Go to Select Game , Go to SWOS 96-97 (DIsk 1 of 2) .adf;. Press on X now to configure the following settings:
Disk 1: SWOS 96-97 (Disk 1 of 2) .adf
Disk 2: SWOS 96-97 (Disk 2 of 2) .adf
Disk 3:
Disk 4: 
Hard Drive: 
Port 1: Joystick A
Port 2: Joystick B
Kickstart: 3.1
CPU: 68020
CPU Speed: Max
CPU Compatible: No
Cycle Exact: No
Video Chipset: AGA
Video Mode: PAL
JIT Cache Size: 2 MB
Chipmem Size: 2 MB
Fast Copper: Yes
Immediate Blits: No
Collision Level: Sprites and Playfield
Floppy Speed: 100%
Sound Interpolation: Disabled
Sound Filter: Off
LEDs: No
Mouse Speed: 50
Framerate: 1

After this, select Configure Controllers and press on A . Select Controller 1 and press A again. Now select Change Joypad Mappings and press A , following by selecting Change Game Mappings and pressing A . Now you can set-up the buttons for the game. Everything must be Nothing+Nothing , except:
Emu15(Joy2 Up): LThumb Up + Nothing (Press Up with the Left Thumb)
Emu16(Joy2 Down): LThumb Down + Nothing
Emu17(Joy2 Left): LThumb Right + Nothing
Emu18(Joy2 Right): LThumb Right + Nothing
Emu19(Joy2/Mouse Btn1): A + Nothing (Press A)
Emu19(Joy2/Mouse Btn2): B + Nothing (Press B)
Emu19(Joy2/Mouse Btn3): X + Nothing (Press X)

Note: LThumb means left stick, if you want the left pad, you can use that instead.

After this, press B and then select Change UI Mappings and press A . Everything must be Nothing+Nothing , except:
Fast Forward\Throttle: White + RTrigger (Right Trigger)
Save State: Black + LTrigger (Left Trigger)
Load Stage: White + LTrigger 
Options Menu/Pause Emu: Right Thumb + Nothing (Press the right thumb)

Now press B till you get back to the Select Controller -menu. Now select Controller 2 and press A again. Now select Change Joypad Mappings and press A , following by selecting Change Game Mappings and pressing A .
Emu1(Joy2 Up): LThumb Up + Nothing
Emu2(Joy2 Down): LThumb Down + Nothing
Emu3(Joy2 Left): LThumb Right + Nothing
Emu4(Joy2 Right): LThumb Right + Nothing
Emu5(Joy2/Mouse Btn1): A + Nothing
Emu6(Joy2/Mouse Btn2): B + Nothing
Emu7(Joy2/Mouse Btn3): X + Nothing

After this, press B and then select Change UI Mappings and press A . Everything must be Nothing+Nothing , except:
Fast Forward\Throttle: White + RTrigger (Right Trigger)
Save State: Black + LTrigger (Left Trigger)
Load Stage: White + LTrigger 
Options Menu/Pause Emu: Right Thumb + Nothing (Press the right thumb)

Now press B till you get a question on screen, choose Yes to save the settings for the controllers globally. When you back in the settings-menu, press B to start the game. Just wait till SWOS is loaded and enjoy !

To load the game faster, you can press Right Trigger and the white button at the same time after starting up. To pause the game during a match, press the right thumb.

It s not possible to play career and also not possible to play online.

Summary
  • Burn the files on CD/DVD (with this ISO )
  • Or copy the emulator to your XBOX hard disk (download the zipfile here )
  • Connect 2 controllers, start up the emulator (via HD or via CD/DVD)
  • First time, configure everything
  • Sit back and enjoy

I hope I have explained everything clearly. If someone has questions, just let me know.

Greetings,

swoozh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• albert gilardi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago #11496 by albert gilardi
Replied by albert gilardi on topic Re: Amiga SWOS 96/97 on the XBOX
hello swoozh,

your tutorial is accurate, but still I can t play the game! it loads properly, got the title screen, then it shows me the picture sensible soccer disk 1 , to change the disk, I go back to the configuration screen to rotate the disks but nothing happens!

I followed accurately your tutorial but used my own versions of WinUaex and .adf files. Can you tell me if you have to rotate disks or if you play directly the game, and if possible help me? thanks!

More
17 years 7 months ago #11500 by swoozh
hmm. Do you see this picture:

If so, this is correct. You have to wait a little longer then..

• albert gilardi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago #11503 by albert gilardi
Yes, this is the picture I get! is it really normal? I waited several minutes and nothing happened. Do I have to push the right trigger and white button in order to load faster?

Do you get the same picture as well? and does the kickstart matter (Amiga 500, 1200, whatever)?

Anyway thanks, I have never been so close to replay this wonderful game!

More
17 years 7 months ago #11504 by swoozh

Yes, this is the picture I get! is it really normal? I waited several minutes and nothing happened. Do I have to push the right trigger and white button in order to load faster?

Do you get the same picture as well? and does the kickstart matter (Amiga 500, 1200, whatever)?

Yes, this picture is normal, I get it also. Hold right trigger and white button at the same time to load faster.

I don t know anything about kickstarts

Anyway thanks, I have never been so close to replay this wonderful game!

np, let me know if it works :)

• albert gilardi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago #11510 by albert gilardi
The problem was the files I used, I downloaded yours, now it works! thanks a lot!

A pity the career mode isn t available, but for the xbox it ll be good! maybe I will try a PC version later.

More
17 years 7 months ago #11548 by swoozh
Nice :D

More
17 years 7 months ago #11550 by djowGer
very nice guide there swoozh.. I might do this when i can afford to get my xbox modded.. But tell me, is it possible to play against another player or is it just against the pc?

More
17 years 7 months ago #11557 by swoozh
It is possible to play against a other player, only thing you need for it is 2 controllers and configure the controllers just like I described in my guide.

More
17 years 7 months ago #11558 by djowGer
sounds great..

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds