IRC channel #sensible still active for online amiga friendlies?

More
7 years 3 months ago #136497 by captaincofresi
Hi,

Are there still people active on the IRC channel #sensible for arranging online amiga friendlies?
Or am I then just shouting in an empty hall?

I am now from time to time looking for people at my level, see this listing of the Onion Cup Groups for the Sensidays in Almelo. For the countries I used the car-code that s on the stickers.

Pino (D)
FC Sandkagen (DK)
Romanista (NL)
Zero (D)
HakanFB (TR)
DefenceMutte (DK)
Paider (D)
Egebjerg Luxus (DK)
Klinki (D)
Nakkeost (NL)
kindelooney (D)
Griesgram (D)

*Personal note: I won t use Discord, because of their privacy policy, e.g. sharing my data with Facebook and Twitter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #136502 by djowGer
I think IRC channel of ss.de is pretty much over for now. Maybe some still go there but dont expect much activity there. Perhaps Swosit.com still use. Try #sensible.net

Regardless of the player level u seek, you can always learn something from your opponents. The more you get to play, the more you learn about the game. Forget about career, really. It is fun and all, but when you learn a few safe goals, all u need is 1 good attacker and you can win all games, without any problem.

Well.. You can also use Discord web client through a browser using a vpn (ie chrome + touch vpn + webrtc leak prevent), but what is the big deal? I mean I also care about privacy, but the data you are talking about is chat text about swos? Perhaps you can cast some light on about what kind of info you don t want to share?

More
7 years 3 months ago #136504 by barnettgs
To use Discord, you don t have to use Facebook or Twitter account, just simply register a new account with Discord using your e-mail address only. That is what I did when I first signed up with Discord.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #136505 by Playaveli

To use Discord, you don t have to use Facebook or Twitter account, just simply register a new account with Discord using your e-mail address only. That is what I did when I first signed up with Discord.

Correct!
Discord claims no personal data, at all!
Only an email adress. No name, no birthdate etc.

*Personal note: I won t use Discord, because of their privacy policy, e.g. sharing my data with Facebook and Twitter.

As explained above, your personal note may be reconsidered.

More
7 years 3 months ago #136513 by Spaced

I think IRC channel of ss.de is pretty much over for now. Maybe some still go there but dont expect much activity there. Perhaps Swosit.com still use. Try #sensible.net

Regardless of the player level u seek, you can always learn something from your opponents. The more you get to play, the more you learn about the game. Forget about career, really. It is fun and all, but when you learn a few safe goals, all u need is 1 good attacker and you can win all games, without any problem.

Well.. You can also use Discord web client through a browser using a vpn (ie chrome + touch vpn + webrtc leak prevent), but what is the big deal? I mean I also care about privacy, but the data you are talking about is chat text about swos? Perhaps you can cast some light on about what kind of info you don t want to share?

No mate, our IRC channel is closed.
We moved to Hipchat nearly three months ago. :)

More
7 years 3 months ago #136515 by captaincofresi
Thanks for the responses, that clears it up why there were no responses in the IRC chat.

And good to see a couple of different views on Discord. Really helps to get to the bottom of is, so here is my view on Discord.

1) With Discord I just have a hard time believing an investment of $ 30,000,000 for a company that just sells vanity items:
Wondering how we’ll make money? In the future there will be optional cosmetics like themes, sticker packs, and sound packs available for purchase. We’ll never charge for Discord’s core functionality.

Information Discord s collects (that the user provides voluntarily):
Information we collect may include but not be limited to username, email address, and any messages, images or other content you send via the chat feature.

Our use or your information:
The Company is not in the business of selling your information.
*conflicts directly with the following paragraph:
Business Transfers: As we develop our business, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, dissolution or similar event, your information may be part of the transferred assets.

Consent: We may transfer your information with your consent.
*This is an irrelevant clause, since the user already did consent by accepting the privacy policy. Therefore it might give a false sense of security.

Looks like a perfect setup for a large company to come in and change the policy, as what Facebook did with Whatsapp. Breaking with the orignal promise and policy not sharing data without consent. And for Whatsapp they also started charging for the service that was supposed to be free.

2) And with Discord you opt-in for targeted marketing on the provided e-mail, something else I don t want:
The Company and its affiliates may use this information to contact you in the future to tell you about services we believe will be of interest to you. If we do so, each marketing communication we send you will contain instructions permitting you to opt-out of receiving future marketing communications. In addition, if at any time you wish not to receive any future marketing communications or you wish to have your name deleted from our mailing lists, please contact us as indicated below.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #136522 by Playaveli
Well... Name yourself Jon Doe with birthdate 1st January... and use an email like This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.... if you have any concerns. Done!
Who hasn t got some email adress just for spam?

But let me ask you: Do you use google to find things on the internet? Do you surf the internet without a proxy or hide-IP-service? Because if you do, you are already glassy... ;)

More
7 years 3 months ago #136523 by barnettgs

But let me ask you: Do you use google to find things on the internet? Do you surf the internet without a proxy or hide-IP-service? Because if you do, you are already glassy... ;)

Agreed but most importantly;

Facebook and Twitter are already havesting your data since they are also free too.

However, at the end of day, it s entirely your choice. :)

More
7 years 3 months ago #136533 by Romanista
@justnico, just installed the online stuff, so you can text me if you want to play online ..

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #136537 by Playaveli
Also, I don t understand your point, @justnico.

You can register with a nickname and a spam-email address on discord. How would they share/connect any data with Facebook, if..

a)... you aren t even a member there?
b)... you use a different name on there?
c)... your email address is different on other platforms?

You said you wanted to arrange friendly matches of Amiga SWOS.
So your input on discord would be lines like ...amiga friendly, anyone? .... Not quite sure how those lines will/would affect your internet privacy .

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds