Re: Building own keypad

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #137837 by gatifun
Hey mates, Anyone knows how to make a keypad able to play with Amiga, I mean, like the ones you use at Sensible Days?.

Playaveli told me aboud make a keypad from an Amiga Joy, but I need some info about making it. Can anyone help me? Thanks very much

to build this:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #137840 by djowGer
Replied by djowGer on topic Re: Building own keypad
Yes, sure the community wants to help. If you are on facebook I have some info here: www.facebook.com/pg/djowger/photos/?tab=album album_id=843547659023106
This is a very basic way of creating it, and can be done a lot smarter, but that also requires more work.

Basically u need some mechanical keys. Most popular on the market is the Cherry MX keys used on all modern gamer keyboards. But you can save a lot of money by buying an old Cherry keyboard from ebay or such. The next thing you need is either an extension cable or an old controller, it only matters which one you choose if you need a seconday fire button. Then you should go for extension cables. Third thing you need is a soldering device.

Here is a basic way of making it.

[img]https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10984215_1070043546373515_2015750456737844341_n.jpg?oh=3a849c43280afb9dc4f92ae8a472faa9 oe=59F84422[/img]

You will notice that the ground cable is connected to each key. This is important or it will not work. The colors of the cables differ from joystick to joystick and extension cable. So it is trial and error. Usually Fire button is orange, Ground cable is black, and secondary fire is red. The others change. On the image white is up, blue down, green right and brown is left. But like I said it changes.

FC Sandkagen and Egebjerg Luxus are creating some keypads atm. where you can use all keys. But I only saw a work in progress of their work as it is not finished yet.

More
6 years 8 months ago #137845 by gatifun
Replied by gatifun on topic Re: Building own keypad
Thanks Djowger, always so kind!

Then, I can use the cable from an Amiga Gamepad, join them in a similar way as the picture to the Cherry MX Keys and it probably will work?

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #137846 by Emmeti
Replied by Emmeti on topic Re: Building own keypad
@Gatifun
Not really much to add, Djowger is the expert.
Anyway... From your words is not clear if your trying to build an amiga keypad or a gameport one (I know you have a pc gravis gamepad), so in case you want to use that cable ok, just cut the connector and the other end that connects to the gamepad board and buy a db 9 female connector to solder to one of those ends. That way you could also know in advance what key do what.
If you want to build a gameport keypad (then to use with gameport to usb and gameport to amiga) check the gameport pinout (and in that case, obviously don t cut the connector :D)

I asked a friend to build one for me as favor, because I didn t have the time nor the tools.
The board was the problem, I haven t any old cherry keyboard.
In the end we found some sort of solution, but this way our base/board sits on the bottom of the keypad and keys are not perfectly in line; no big deal, but still noticeable if you look at the keypad from the side.
I had a couple of solutions in mind, but I couldn t ask him to do too much (being a favor) and kept that way.
Barely noticeable in my opinion (not an expert thou), but I guess that (and probably a couple of other reasons) makes them not as good as other keypads around.

Edit: attached a couple of pics (amiga keypad, usb keypad)

Attachments:

More
6 years 8 months ago #137848 by gatifun
Thanks Emmeti too. Yes, I didn t really know about it, I thought the gravis gamepad was an amiga gamepad!

I will think about it and tell you. Thanks!

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #137850 by Emmeti
Replied by Emmeti on topic Re: Building own keypad

I thought the gravis gamepad was an amiga gamepad!

Well, actually there s also an amiga version: it has a 9 pin connector instead of the gameport 15 pin one and gamepad on the case instead of pc gamepad .
It s just that I know you have the pc one :)

Edit: attached pic of 2 gravis (pc gameport with black connector and amiga)

Attachments:

More
6 years 8 months ago #137862 by Playaveli
Replied by Playaveli on topic Re: Building own keypad
If you don t want to kill some old Amiga joystick and sacrifice it, maybe this is helpful:
www.ebay.de/itm/6FT-9-Pin-Replacement-ca...ystick-/172743822341

More
6 years 8 months ago #137878 by gatifun
Thanks Playaveli, I will plan how to do it when I receive the key switches . Thanks for helping!

More
6 years 8 months ago #137879 by djowGer
Replied by djowGer on topic Re: Building own keypad
Killing the gravis gamepads would be a shame imo ;) But it is your choice. Get a few extension cables instead. They are cheap.

More
6 years 7 months ago #137929 by gatifun
Hello again, I ve received the switches and keycaps. Now, I m planning the cable stuff.

I ve seen this items to buy. Do you think it will work with Amiga (to play in sensidays) and in PC with the adapter? thanks

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds