Re: Synchronated Updates 08-09

More
16 years 1 week ago #39873 by Synchronated

how do you determine the starting XI and the tactic for each team? You do it very well!

A combination of players appearances so far in the current season, their perceived transfer values and their preferred positions, will yield a preferred theoretical XI and the formation in which they are arranged, right or wrong :)

Just another question: Currently players are awarded skills which are appropriate to them . Can I know exactly how?

For relatively famous players or just players in England I know, this is mostly due to subjective judgment. ie Walcott is fast, etc.
But you can make safe assumptions sometimes. Like if someone is 165cm tall, don t give him a big heading ability; if someone is 195cm tall, go ahead. If someone scores a goal per game his finishing needs to be high. etc.
But yes, this is mostly subjective and looking at some of those FM skills... I think I do an OK job. Some of them are not even sensible at all. There is no possible way you could argue that those passing and long shots skills for C.Ronaldo are in any way realistic.

Another way could be distributing points proportionally: e.g. let s assume that Kaka is 12M because of his overall value, then you distribute the points corresponding to 12M, e.g. 47 points, proportionally to each ability; so, you ll have something like control 9, tackling 3, etc.; you assign 7 to control, and distribute the 2 extra points proportionally again. But I don t know how to automatize this, and I don t know if the result is worth the work.

You would end up having to distribute those spare points to tackling anyway. 7,7,6,6,7,7,7 really has minimised the tackling and heading for a player of that value in SWOS. Most good defenders would have 7 for those attributes anyway, so he wouldn t be a world class defender.

It would be nice if you only had to give 35 points, rather than 49, to max a player s value, then you could be really creative with them and generate more unique types of player. But in SWOS this is not possible (or at least, it s possible only if you would be willing to accept that the maximum value can be maybe £5m... which is another interesting question in itself).

I will look at the spreadsheet tomorrow maybe, Match of the Day is on now :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 week ago #39877 by milivella

But yes, this is mostly subjective and looking at some of those FM skills... I think I do an OK job. Some of them are not even sensible at all. There is no possible way you could argue that those passing and long shots skills for C.Ronaldo are in any way realistic.

Of course. But it s interesting that C. Ronaldo in the spreadsheet has 7 (max value) both in passing and long shots. This (spreadsheet method) could be a good trail...

You would end up having to distribute those spare points to tackling anyway. 7,7,6,6,7,7,7 really has minimised the tackling and heading for a player of that value in SWOS. Most good defenders would have 7 for those attributes anyway, so he wouldn t be a world class defender.

No, not a world class defender, but still a defender that could start in some Serie A teams. I can only repeat myself: this is not realistic, but I know that it s so in SWOS original data.

It would be nice if you only had to give 35 points, rather than 49, to max a player s value, then you could be really creative with them and generate more unique types of player. But in SWOS this is not possible (or at least, it s possible only if you would be willing to accept that the maximum value can be maybe £5m... which is another interesting question in itself).

Would you accept this kind of maximum value? Would you think it could be accepted by SWOS community?

I will look at the spreadsheet tomorrow maybe, Match of the Day is on now :)

Looking forward to your feedback. :)

More
16 years 1 week ago #39933 by Synchronated
I haven t had time to look at the spreadsheet yet but I ve just been thinking, the max value needs to stay at £15m for career mode purposes. But in future only maybe 3 or 4 players will be £12m or above, and also there will be fewer £4.5m-£10m players as there are just too many players whose stats are basically maxed.

More
16 years 1 week ago #39936 by milivella

the max value needs to stay at £15m for career mode purposes. But in future only maybe 3 or 4 players will be £12m or above, and also there will be fewer £4.5m-£10m players as there are just too many players whose stats are basically maxed.

Seconded.

More
16 years 6 days ago - 16 years 6 days ago #39995 by Synchronated
Your spreadsheet method is pretty good. Some players will need more SWOS points than you are giving them though, to make the best 3-4 players be £12m+ and enough players £4.5m+

How about making a simpler spreadsheet for one player at a time, which takes the FM skills input (eg 11-13-11-4-18-18-18), then to the values for a player (eg 3431777) adds/subtracts one or two from *every* attribute (remembering max is 7) if the value is too high/low, until the player is in the right class (number of stars).

So it would become (2320666) if the player turned out more expensive than desired, or (4542777) if he needed to be more expensive? This can also be done easily manually.

I don t want to use the FM overall ability to determine SWOS points though, unless maybe it is recalibrated. Ability/4 gives only 17 players which would have 4.5 stars (Rooney, Henry, Puyol, Ronaldinho, Terry are among those who would only be 4 stars), and no players with 5 stars at all :).

More
16 years 6 days ago #40001 by HairFU
The solution that no one have 5 Stars sounds good :) I mean when was it the last time we had players like Pele, Beckenbauer or Maradonna in this days football? That was maybe the only players that deserved 5 Stars ever ;)
Maybe evryone could write some players (especialy from his own league) that have deserved 4 and 4,5 stars and then we can have a look if the player play on a high level for a few years and what the players is for other country people that don t watch the league so much. For example a player can have a very good season wich seem perfect, but if it is the only or the first season i think he haven t deserved 4 or 4,5 stars, so he have to prove the next years that he is a top player.

More
16 years 6 days ago - 16 years 6 days ago #40008 by Synchronated
Well the original 96/97 database has 6 5* players (Shearer, Del Piero, Bebeto, Weah, Klinsmann, Maldini) and 98 unique players which are 4 1/2*.

(source: swos.gazchap.com/index.php)

Using transfermarkt price /4 we would get three 5* players currently (Messi, C.Ronaldo, Kaka) and (if strictly adhering to transfermarkt value) 78 players which are 4 1/2*.

(source: www.transfermarkt.de/de/basic/2007/inter...rktwerte/1/tops.html)

I think that s sensible for the transfer values and makes them substantially lower than previously (transfermarkt/3); more debatable is the method for specific skills

More
16 years 6 days ago - 16 years 6 days ago #40016 by milivella

Your spreadsheet method is pretty good. Some players will need more SWOS points than you are giving them though, to make the best 3-4 players be £12m+ and enough players £4.5m+

Just tell me the prices (or the corresponding total points) of some players (all the ones you want), and I ll change the value from FM with the value from Synchronated. :) (Obviously, if you want I ll give you the administrator powers to edit personally the spreadsheet).

With the correct prices/stars, would you consider using the values generated by the spreadsheet for your next update?

How about making a simpler spreadsheet for one player at a time, which takes the FM skills input (eg 11-13-11-4-18-18-18), then to the values for a player (eg 3431777) adds/subtracts one or two from *every* attribute (remembering max is 7) if the value is too high/low, until the player is in the right class (number of stars).

If I understand your proposal correctly, it s not so simpler (you have to reduce values 7 anyway), and I think it would give similar values.

This can also be done easily manually.

Well, you need a spreadsheet anyway to convert FM values in SWOS values...

Looking forward to your feedback. :)

More
16 years 6 days ago #40021 by Synchronated
I would consider using the spreadsheet yes, as it is probably the best solution I have seen.
There would need to be no instances where players get an attribute of 8 though, ideally.

More
16 years 6 days ago #40027 by milivella

There would need to be no instances where players get an attribute of 8 though, ideally.

It should be OK now (added a second iteration of the re-distribution of values 7).

Now, I only have to change the desired prices/stars/points (call them as you want).

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds