SWOS Road to World Cup 2018 - World Cup History

More
7 years 5 days ago - 6 years 11 months ago #136946 by xflea
I guess everyone enjoyed editing teams for 16/17 update.

I did. And I decided to start a side project involving some more editing :P

The idea is to prepare all the historic editions of FIFA World Cup as SWOS competitions (well I mean those editions that can be simulated in SWOS in terms of competition format - that goes back to 1954 if I am not wrong).

The idea is to prepare those competitions before FIFA World Cup 2018.

The idea is to edit teams in accordance to their squads in corresponding FIFA World Cup editions (players appearance during those World Cups).

I managed to get priceless help from Mozg, who prepared competition formats.

Please notice that groups numbers (letters) were switched in the competition when compared to actual FIFA World Cup - it was necessary to secure proper seeding in 1/8 finals.

Attached you will find the first competition completed - FIFA World Cup 2014.

In two archive files you will find 32 DIYs, one for each national team to be played as player during the competition.

Just unpack career.adf (part 1 or part 2, each with 16 teams) into your Disks folder and start the game as Offline in Original 1996/97 Season.

Enjoy :)

Description:

WC2014-part1.zip - play as: ALGERIA, ARGENTINA, AUSTRALIA, BELGIUM, BOSNIA HERZEG., BRAZIL, CAMEROON, CHILE, COLOMBIA, COSTA RICA, CROATIA, ECUADOR, ENGLAND, FRANCE, IVORY COAST, SPAIN

WC2014-part2.zip - play as: GERMANY, GHANA, GREECE, HONDURAS, IRAN, ITALY, JAPAN, MEXICO, NETHERLANDS, NIGERIA, PORTUGAL, RUSSIA, SOUTH KOREA, SWITZERLAND, UNITED STATES, URUGUAY
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #137086 by MIJB#19
That s awesome stuff!

More
6 years 11 months ago #137087 by djowGer
Nice idea xflea! Getting the right names and formations should be easy for most tournaments but how do you set values/skills for the players? Does transfermarkt have a timemachine? :)

More
6 years 11 months ago #137088 by xflea
Thank you guys.

@djowger

I guess transfermarkt tracks market values back to about 2004, so it is useful for 2014, 2010 and 2006 editions (I am referring to transfermarkt for them).

As for older editions I am planning to classify teams according to their ELO rating back in the days, assign total number of skill points per team accordingly and then distribute skill points among players. There will be much subjective decisions there I believe :) But I could not come up with a better idea...

Right names are the least of the problems, kits are easy, formations are much trickier...

As for lineups (starting 11 and 5 subs) I analyze each tournament and use those players who played the most in specific tournament.

More
6 years 9 months ago #137356 by xflea
Attached you will find FIFA World Cup 2010.

In two archive files you will find 32 DIYs, one for each national team to be played as player during the competition.

Just unpack career.adf (part 1 or part 2, each with 16 teams) into your Disks folder and start the game as Offline in Original 1996/97 Season.

Competition formats prepared by Mozg.

Description:

WC2010-part1.zip - play as: ALGERIA, ARGENTINA, AUSTRALIA, BRAZIL, CAMEROON, CHILE, DENMARK, ENGLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY, GHANA, GREECE, HONDURAS, ITALY, IVORY COAST, SPAIN

WC2010-part2.zip - play as: JAPAN, MEXICO, NETHERLANDS, NEW ZEALAND, NIGERIA, NORTH KOREA, PARAGUAY, PORTUGAL, SERBIA, SLOVAKIA, SLOVENIA, SOUTH AFRICA, SOUTH KOREA, SWITZERLAND, UNITED STATES, URUGUAY
Attachments:

More
6 years 8 months ago #137670 by xflea
Attached you will find FIFA World Cup 2006.

Competition formats prepared by Mozg.

Description:

WC2006-part1.zip - play as: ANGOLA, ARGENTINA, AUSTRALIA, BRAZIL, COSTA RICA, CROATIA, CZECH REPUBLIC, ECUADOR, ENGLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY, GHANA, IRAN, ITALY, IVORY COAST, SPAIN

WC2006-part2.zip - play as: JAPAN, MEXICO, NETHERLANDS, PARAGUAY, POLAND, PORTUGAL, SAUDI ARABIA, SERBIA AND MONTENEGRO, SOUTH KOREA, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, TOGO, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO, TUNISIA, UKRAINE, UNITED STATES
Attachments:

More
6 years 8 months ago #137671 by xflea
from this point it will take more creative approach to compose rosters, as transfermarkt does not provide market values for 2002 and earlier :)

More
5 years 10 months ago #139445 by xflea
this might not be possible before WC 2018 starts, hehehe

• Masakari
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #139491 by Masakari
Yeah, this seems hard to pull off before the WC.

I thought you originally wanted to do a World Cup Edition with just 2018 rosters, doing a big chunk of the history of the world cup is demanding, specially when you go further back in time.

More
5 years 10 months ago #139494 by djowGer

this might not be possible before WC 2018 starts, hehehe

Do you want help? If we split up it is only 16 teams each ;)

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds