Digital USB joystick for PC, not gamepad?

• ble
  • ble's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #140442 by ble
Hi to all, as I m new here.

I ve searched the whole forum for any answers. I guess such question should be quite popular here, but surprisignly I didn t found anything useful. If I missed anything, please do not blame me, just point me to the right topic. Thank you in advance for your patience.

But if not, here s my question with detailed explanation.

For many years I used to play Sensible Soccer, later SWOS on my Amiga using Quickshot II joysticks. For those not familiar with that, they are very precise, digital joysticks (in contrast to PC platform, where all joysticks are analog ones).

Well, Amiga is aging year by year, so I made multiple efforts to switch to a PC and play SWOS on that stuff. Well, the game is more comfortable to play - better sound, quick loading, worse smoothness, but it s OK. The main problem is, WHAT CONTROLLER TO USE ON THAT GODDAMN PC?

I tried to play with keyboard - no way I ll do it again.
I tried to use standard analog joystick - very poor experience. Very low precision of steering, playing the game was just random kicking and running. Absolutely nonsense option.
I tried to use gamepad. Far from being satysfying experience. Barely acceptable. Well, the best option was to remap controls to use directional pad (that digital cross for left thumb). This one is still far from what I expected.

I bought an adapter to use old Amiga joystick with PC. That s great, but it was designed for old game port, which newer PC doesn t have. It worked flawlessly though for old Top Star joystick, but not with Quickshot II. I still do not care, as TopStar is piece of junk compared to Quickshot II and didn t fit for SWOS at all.

So I bought another adapter to use these Amiga joysticks with USB - unfortunately none of my joysticks works. Well, TopStar seems to work, but has about 0.5 sec. delay, so any gaming with that is just impossible.

So it s time (at least!) for the question:

Are there any equivalents of Amiga s Quickshot II joysticks for modern PC? USB, WiFi, Bluetooth, anything that can be used? I m looking for simple digital and precise joystick to use with SWOS. Tiny stick travel distance, highly responsive and accurate.

The only solution I found so far is Speedlink Competition Pro USB, which looks like cwap and has no fire buttons on the stick...

Please, please, PLEASE help. Thank you in advance :)

Just to demonstrate what I m talking about:

Quickshot II:

TopStar:

Competition Pro USB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #140448 by Playaveli
Just get an original Amiga joystick! And use an USB adapter, listed here:
www.sensiblesoccer.de/forum/index.php?topic=26589.0

And you re set! :)

More
3 years 2 months ago #144494 by prpau
Hi there. This is similar to the problem I have

Did you find a solution??

I'm preferably looking for a joystick with great playability and a button on the stick

More
3 years 2 months ago #144495 by Playaveli
Sure, get one from ebay (search for the same one you used in the 90ies) plus some USB adapter.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds