SWOS 2020 thoughts after my first season

More
4 years 2 months ago #142934 by Reneend
So I played SWOS 95/96 way back in the day on the Amiga, and played the game until about 2000. A few years ago I downloaded SWOS on my Android phone however thats nearly impossible to play, so that quickly stopped.

However the virus never went away and after learning about SWOS 2020 I decided to go on and play again. I just finished my first season and here are my thoughts;

First of all my compliments to the customisation of the games, the different stadiums, chants and commentary really takes the game to a next level.

As far as controls go; I use a PS3 controller and I'm still getting used to that as I allways used a joystick back in the days. The only limitation I currently feel is giving specific curves to the ball when shooting on goal. Apart from that after my first day of playing I really got back that old rithm of fast plays and hoping the computer selects the right player to control, I love it!

My first season was with Ajax, became champion, one the cup and lost the CL Finale to AC Milan 6-7 on penalties, I can live with that. I'm now a few games into the second season have a good team with a few old Reserve players doing really well and gaining value quickly.

Regarding value, I still see the same lowering of value from attackers as I did on the Amiga. This time my topscorer scored 27 goals, so I can understand a lower value. However back in the days I would have had attackers scoring 100+ goals a season and still dropping in value like crazy. I never understood that parts, only keepers seem to really go up in value worth while.

On the Amiga I had my specific tricks to score, much different then I see you guys doing when looking on Youtube, but find it hard to dubplicate for now, more practice is needed.

Club business, I started 3M and ended up nearly at 0 at the end of the year. But now, early into the new season I'm up to 12M after selling no longer needed valueable players, lets wait it the balance will drop during the season, wich seems to be a big complaint however I cannot remember this being an issue with SWOS 95/96.

The only wish I really have is being able to do my own stadium designing that would be so great. Also I want to play you guys online, but first need a new controller as this old PS3 has a will on its own, and kinda hard to score goals if you players walk towards your own goal.

Well thats it for now,

Dennis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 2 months ago #142935 by ElMichaJ
well :) would be nice to play online vs you

i also played with an old ps 2 controller .... now i have a gravis gameport gamepad with usb converter (not adapter)

it works very nice :) or just use a simple usb gamepad .... works fine :)

the lowering value depends on the tactic you are using, but thats another topic ;)

Hey Hey Hey .... El Micha J !!!

More
4 years 2 months ago #142940 by Playaveli
The game comes with a tactic. Load it!! value.tac! :) Select it before the match, play 1 min with it, then switch to your preferred tactic. Values will all go up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matthew Blackwell

More
4 years 2 months ago #142942 by Reneend
Learning something everyday :) I did not know the tactics could influence the value of the players. I tried the value.tac and it worked :). Fun to know, but don't think I'm going to use it very much.

I find the player databases very usefell, back in '95 you just bought players you knew where good from experience , but now I can just search and find the exact player I need, I like that.

@PLayaveli, any chance us mortals would be able to design stadiums, or is there allready a way to do so? Would be nice to play around with.

Thanks,

Dennis

More
4 years 2 months ago #142943 by Playaveli
Are you into graphic editing? Capable of Photoshop etc?

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #142945 by Reneend
Hi PLayaveli,

I like to do creative things, been trying to make animations recently, just for my own fun, and together with my 5 year old son.

Don't know if the link works; my very first atempt;

[flash=425,350]www.youtube.com/v/wI3-nF2MS48[/flash]

Haven't used photoshop for a few years, but I did in the past, and could do a lot.

Cheers,
Dennis
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Reneend.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #142946 by Walram3
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Walram3.

More
3 years 11 months ago #143281 by idum
I have now completed one season in SWOS2020. My thoughts on this are as follows. On one hand the goalkeepers are much too strong. I often played with a very strong team against a very weak team. My strikers were very strong, especially in F and V. The goalkeeper held almost a dozen shots, although he had no high market value. My goalkeeper had a much higher market value and a weak striker shot once or twice at my goal and scored. That for example happened very often. In my opinion that's an imbalance and that's why the game is not really fun for me. On the other hand the goalkeeper very often lets the ball bounce off in front of the feet of an opposing striker and so I got annoying goals. That is not the SWOS I played years ago. I think it's tricky when you change too much of a game. The game isn't the same anymore for me in that state. But I appreciate the hard work that got into this game but I'd wish there would be also the possibility to play SWOS2020 in it's original form.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #143283 by Playaveli
You probably played the DOS version... :) Keepers are much weaker in this one. Select Game Style "PC DOS" in launcher.

SWOS 2020 includes both, AMIGA and PC DOS gameplay in their original form (from the 96/97 version)!
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Playaveli.

More
3 years 11 months ago #143284 by Reneend
When I started playing I had major problems scoring goals myself. I play the Amiga version.
This first half of the first season I scored only now and then, at the second half I got to understand some strongpoints of my strikers so I could use them more to suit their skills.

From the second season on my strikers increasingly score more goals. I went from 30 goals from my topscorer to 40, 50, 60 in the next seasons. Still not the 100+ I was used to get from my Amiga back in the day

Still I cannot use my former Amiga scoring tactics, but this is more because I use different tactics and player positions.

Enjoy!

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds