SWOS for my arcade cabinet

• gavinc
  • gavinc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #96379 by gavinc
SWOS for my arcade cabinet was created by gavinc
Hi there,

I have just got my hands on an arcade cabinet, with a PC inside it running mamewah (multi emulator front end)

I wanted to add Sensible soccer to the games list and am not sure whets the best setup to go with. Hoping I can get some advice here.

Should I install the PC version, the Amiga version (using WinAue), or the sega emulated version? I have the capability to run any of them as mamewah supports all options.

My main requirements are :-

1) It needs to load quickly. If possible immediately.
2) It needs to support two players via the same keyboard (I am using an ipac keyboard encoder linked to my arcade joysticks)

Nice to have s :-

1) The best graphics possible + sound
2) Online game play

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #96380 by djowGer
I would pick both PC SWOS (DOS-box) AMIGA emulated (winuae) SWOS 96-97 if I were u. Both are great games. I don t have a lot of knowledge on this matter, but i do know a danish guy who made something like u are talking about. He is also using mamewah and has swos included as games. Check out his project here:

www.eibmoz.net/mamecabinet/index.php

• gavinc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #96382 by gavinc
Replied by gavinc on topic Re: SWOS for my arcade cabinet
Thanks matey, I will install both.

Any idea What sort of load times can I expect from WinUae?

I had a quick play around with it at the weekend and I noticed it was very slow to load the game.

Can I get the load time down to 10 seconds or less?

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #96394 by Synchronated
If you use an emulated hard disk setup (either an hdf file or just a windows folder), AGA setup, A1200 CPU and Kick 3.1 it loads pretty much straight away. Sensi logo in 3-4 secs, menu in 6ish (if you hit fire to dismiss the intro).
I can send you my config if you like.

The main concern I would have in your position is the display/monitor s refresh rate.

Amiga SWOS runs at 50Hz only, and is only actually smooth (supersmooth, like the otherwise-poor 360 version) on a display that is configured/capable at 50Hz. TVs and HDTVs tend to be able to do this, standard monitors do not.
The refresh will be out of sync if your display is set to 60Hz and the game will be choppy no matter if it s perfectly emulated @ perfect fps.

PC SWOS, however, runs at 60Hz and is smooth on displays that can take 60Hz, which is almost all of them.

Your display will almost certainly work fine at 60Hz - but if it also has 50Hz capability (have a look at the graphics options in windows and see if you can set the refresh to 50Hz) I would take a good WinUAE config over PC SWOS personally. I use an HDTV @ 50Hz.

• gavinc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #96395 by gavinc
Great forum this.

Really helpful post thanks matey, much appreciated.

My monitor is an old CRT monitor but it does support both 50hz and 60hz so I think I might be ok to run either option.

Glad to hear I can reduce the load time with WinUae too, I really didn t want to waste time trying to get it all setup if I was going to be a slow loader.

Anway will have a play around after work one week to try and get both options setup and will post back if I run into issues.

Thanks again.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #96396 by Synchronated
NP. Your CRT should handle it fine. If you want, I have all the necessary files for a clean WinUAE config in a zip file. Kickstart, recent build of WinUAE, config, several versions of SWOS, basic hastily-assembled readme instructions.
Can t access mediafire at work but I could put it on there later and I ll modify this post with the link.

edit: www.mediafire.com/download.php?jp3vd92gkvth53l

Just looking at your post again, I ve never tried configuring two players on the same keyboard, but it s definitely possible in WinUAE as you can map anything manually if necessary. There are also several default keyboard configs in the game ports menu. I wouldn t be so confident on the PC version but then as I say I ve never tried to do so.

• gavinc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #96455 by gavinc
Thanks for the link!

Got the winuae version running v. quickly thanks to your instructions. Couldn t get it working off keyboard though, I need to read the winuae manual....

What do I need to change to get the keyboard working? There were a couple of tabs in winua that mentioned input/joysticks and keyboards, so it wasn t obvious which settings to change. I tried a few things but couldn t get off the title/intro screen when pressing keys on the keyboard with all the options that I tried.

Thanks,

Gav

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #96456 by Synchronated
Game ports tab, set both ports to amiga joystick, and their input to one of the default keyboard configs (of which I think there are three).

You can define each command for each port specifically on another tab if needed. I know it works from using older versions, so you ll be able to configure your stick/keyboard input, but I haven t needed to use it for ages (USB Street Fighter pads for xbox360!).

• gavinc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #96490 by gavinc
Got the winaue version running very nicely inside the cab, quick load time with both joysticks functioning. V. happy thanks for all the help with this.

Now all I need to do is to see if I can get a few mates around to have a tournament like we did back in the day.

And who said nostalgia belongs in a museum!

More
13 years 5 months ago #96492 by EreWeGo
Sounds sweet gavinc, how bout some pics mate?
:)

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds