SWOS 96/97 database - excel format

More
11 years 1 month ago #117565 by djowGer

I m not sure about switching positions for players...

Try to play with Italy and put Maldini in attack. He is a maximum value player, so should be perfect in speed, ball control, shooting, finishing, etc. But somehow his strikes are not so powerful as those of nominal attackers (like Zola or Ravanelli)...

I agree.. This is quoted from along time ago...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #117566 by atchoo
Maldini isn t so strong as a LB, too!
In 442 he isn t fast like you should expect.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #117567 by Retrieving

Check this, which was posted in another context but is still relevant:

Im gonna do a guide soon, but the skills system in swos is quite easy to understand. All players have a number from 0-15 in 7 different categories (speed, passsing, finishing, tackling, shot power, ball control, heading). The confusing part is that numbers 0-15 are divided in 2, why i dont know (heard a rumor about player wages, but im not sure). The lowest is 0 which is equal to 8. The best is 15 which is equal to 7. This means the following:

Worst

Best
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Player example:

Roberto Mussi (Parma)

P V H T C S F
15 4 3 15 4 15 2

This would be equal to:

P V H T C S F
7 12 11 7 12 7 10

P = Passing
V = Shot Power
H = Heading
T = Tackling
C = Ball Control
S = Speed
F = Finishing

Roberto Mussi is RB, but i think he is perfect for a defensive midfielder. He has maximum in categories Speed, Tackling, and passing. Some people often get confused when i set an attacker in defence, but i know the skills of the player. And like playaveli said, you could easily have george weah in defence cause he has max in every skill. His stats are here together with a few others:

George Weah (AC Milan)
P V H T C S F
15 15 15 7 15 15 15

Hristo Stoichkov (Barcelona)
P V H T C S F
15 14 2 3 15 14 15

Claudio Lopez (Valencia)
P V H T C S F
2 14 14 3 3 15 14

all 7 s doesn t mean that the player will express his full potential regardless of where he s placed on the field, role matters as does affinity between certain skills and a given area of the pitch.

None of this is fixed though and seems like the same player will perform differently depending on the area of the pitch he s running above, which means that the system is working in real time, too, so if you push ahead on the wings a defender through passing alone he might play like shit (as in lose speed, lose BC or TA, etc.) even though he s gotten all 7 s, as long as he s kept there.

As a matter of fact, an A will underperform (to the point of losing SP while being in the last and second to last tiles of the pitch near the corners and on the sides near the halfway line) as attacking wings (I mean, the forwards playing on the sides) in the 5-2-3 formation compared to an RW/LW with the same exact skills.

Have you guys not read my interview with Jon Hare from last year ?

More
11 years 1 month ago #117568 by djowGer

all 7 s doesn t mean that the player will express his full potential regardless of where he s placed on the field, role matters as does affinity between certain skills and a given area of the pitch.

None of this is fixed though and seems like the same player will perform differently depending on the area of the pitch he s running above, which means that the system is working in real time, too, so if you push ahead on the wings a defender through passing alone he might play like shit (as in lose speed, lose BC or TA, etc.) even though he s gotten all 7 s, as long as he s kept there.

As a matter of fact, an A will underperform (to the point of losing SP while being in the last and second to last tiles of the pitch near the corners and on the sides near the halfway line) as attacking wings (I mean, the forwards playing on the sides) in the 5-2-3 formation compared to an RW/LW with the same exact skills.

Have you guys not read my interview with Jon Hare from last year ?

I have read it for sure. Interesting read. But like i wrote before this was quoted from along time ago, before your interview. People here had many ideas regarding player perfomances, ticks and crosses.

Never the less, in SWOS you are left with a lot of compromises setting up your team, if you want the best solution between playerskills and player positions. This means of course to put players in wrong positions mostly because the speed skill is desired, but yes the player is often weakened by his ball control etc.

If you want find out which positions fits each formation the best in general , you can do this by using a team editor to give all players max in skills. Next, go to the game and change positions from bench to a certain position on the starting 11. When you cant find a better player for this position getting ticks, you ve found the best player for this position. I hope this makes sense, but I ll share my experience trying this out with 442/sweep, 532, and 523.

442/sweep is pretty straight forward. An attacker as offensive midfielder is the most desired, even players starting in attack want this position better than normal attack.
A Defender is better for Def. midfielder than M, and also wants this position better than normal defence. Unfortunately in SWOS, there are no real good players with D position that is good in passing too.

RB D D LB
RW D A LW
A A

352/532 is almost the same as 442/sweep. Desired team is
RB D LB
RW D D A LW
A A

Obviously no team in swos has 3 D s with max in speed, but brazil is close. This looks almost like Playavelis setup for 532, only he has juninho in center defence in lack of a better choice. Sampaio is too slow.

As I play 523 myself I found this optimal setup quite weird. And of course no team in swos has double wingers, so you are left with compromises, were as A or LB/RB or even M as best alternatives for off. wingers.
RB D D D LB
RW LW
RW A LW

Worst thing from this is that Midfielders (M) are not desired as a prefered player in any position above other on the pitch. You can test all this yourself if you want with other standard formations like 343, defend, 451 etc.

Just thought I would share this with you guys. Again compromises are made to fit your style of play, not a must.

More
11 years 1 month ago #117569 by atchoo

Worst thing from this is that Midfielders (M) are not desired as a prefered player in any position above other on the pitch.

So true!

More
11 years 1 month ago #117570 by Playaveli
Exception: Redondo!

More
11 years 1 month ago #117571 by atchoo
Redondo is great, but Real s Ds can t compete with him. Hierro is 55 CoSp, Alkorta only 33 CoSp. Lasa, a LB, is 77 CoSp, but also 3 in Pa.
If only Redondo was a D...

More
10 years 5 months ago #121517 by sokratees9
Any chance someone has an excel file of all the 2013-14 data? I wish I could simply copy it out of the SWOS DB Finder. That s one feature it lacks.

More
10 years 5 months ago #121518 by sokratees9
Actually, it was quite easy. I found the following program to read the mdb files that come with SWOS DB Finder:

www.alexnolan.net/software/mdb_viewer_plus.htm

And then just exported in CSV format and imported it into Excel. If anyone wants it, let me know and I ll post it on here (or somewhere reachable anyway).

More
7 years 5 months ago #135815 by HungryHorace
Jesus it s been a long time since i ve visited here!!

Question.... did anyone solve the mystery of 0-7 ranges vs. 8-15 ranges?

I get that they have the same effect. THis is unsurprising. Going by my previous experience of hacking up other amiga games (including SWOS many years ago, and Mega Lo Mania more recenty) , i would expect that what should be happening is that the skill is set in bits 0-2 of the data (if you clear bit 3, then values 8-15 will transpose directly to 0-7)

It seems likely then that you need to simply look at what bit 3, which is going to end up as TRUE/FALSE only is doing. Probably this should be how the data is looked at in any editor (i also have no idea what editor people are using these days)

Cheers

p.s. can t believe it s been 18 years since SWOS WorldCup 98, lol

Time to create page: 0.267 seconds