Your first touch with Sensible Soccer?

More
17 years 11 months ago #7399 by skaarj
I think my first touch with Sensible was back in 1994. I had my first computer (482 DX2 50MHz) then and that was always my cousin who got me some games to play. Someday he had bring me a game: the first Sensible Soccer. Since then I got addicted :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #7862 by Tufo
Hey hey, my first post :D

I ve posted this on the codemasters page already today, but my first game was a hefty 6-1 defeat to Apoel Nicosia playing as Aston Villa. But it mattered not, i played it for the next 2 days, only stopping when the headache got too severe.

You guys are probably much much better at SWOS than I am, but my two proudest moments have to be winning the european cup with torquay united without spending over 500k (1-0 against AC Milan if you were interested), and winning the world cup with san marino (1-0 against brazil).

That world cup final was scary, my best players were about half the speed of the brazilians, we had to repel wave after wave of attack. The ball broke to me in the second half about 40 yards out so i just went for a lob, and it sailed gloriously over Tafferel s head.

Anyway, can t wait for the new version - it s really looking very promising.

More
17 years 11 months ago #7863 by Playaveli
Hi Tufo...

nice to see you here in our forum! Very good intro... :-)

More
17 years 11 months ago #7864 by Tufo
thanks man, maybe i ll give the online thing a go sometime, but not tonight, i m far too tired :p

More
17 years 11 months ago #7868 by sid77
Hi guys,

I first played Sensi Soccer when it got release back in the early nineties. Loved every minute of it and used to play against my brother/brother in law/friends very often having mini championships and what not. A lot of arguments used to happen all the time, arguing about which teams are best and why I always picked the best teams (which I didn t) and stuff like that. I used to always go to a computer club once a fortnight where we would copy all the newest games and share them between friends, aaahhh those were the days with my extra external 3.5 floppy drive thinking I was king gettinga 100 new games (copies of course) in one evening. Anyway at the time Sensi was the hottest thing around and nearly everyone in the club played it, obviously huge potential for offline gaming tournaments. I used to win them on a regular basis, I really did use to rock at this game !!! Note the word used to. Anyway my interest faded a couple of years after the 95/96 season, I got into consoles, sold my amiga, life moved on.

A few months ago I looked into WinUAE cos the thought of playing some of the old amiga classics was too good to be true. Stumbled across the WinUAE version of Sensi, I never realised for weeks you guys had this secret website run my nutters who absolutely love the game. I nearly wet my pants when I discovered you guys have been playing online for god knows how long !!! Anyway here I am, played my first ooo against Moe-zart I think his name was, lost 7-2 expectedly. I need to do some serious catching up to regain my form in the mid 90s !!!

Anyway thats me over and out, top site you have here with an excellent structure to it. I m telling everyone I know about your site so the community grows even bigger. Sensi was so popular in the day and there must be 1000 s of people like me who though it was extinct, how wrong could I be?

More
17 years 11 months ago #7899 by Kurrado
I m 20 years old (born in 1986), so I don t have much experience with old stuff like Amiga and SWOS (but SWOS is still in !)

But in 1998 (So, I was 12 y.o.) I saw in a store one little floppy: Sensible Soccer 1.1 demo was the front-title. I never heard about this game and I bought it. My first couple of matches, I didn t really liked the game.

One year later, I read a review about SWOS 96/97 , it was soooo positive that I bought the game. I tried and indeed...THE GAME WAS (and still is) MARVELLOUS !

Nowadays, I m still playing SWOS, career modes. I start in third division (England) and I try to get up as quickly as possible ;)

Sensible Soccer... What a game ...

More
17 years 11 months ago #7903 by Rob
I got an amiga 1200 for Christmas in 94/95/96 i cant remember, and my brother bought SWOS 95/96 soon after.

We played the game almosdt none stop for years, i now play SWOS in the PC mostly but i sometimes get the amiga out again like in the good old days.

More
16 years 6 months ago #26495 by torpedo
in my late primary school days, we used to gather at my friend Wojtek s flat to play some footie games. the game of our choice was Italia 90 (or Italy 90, i don t remember exactly, as i think there were two different games).

More or less this game had Captain Tsubasa type of gameplay, where you were running through the pitch for ages, and employed some ilogical moves that wasn t supposed to have any similarity to football you played on a school grounds. But, still something big for me back then, as i was still a proud owner of 8-bit powerful Atari (RIP, don t even mention this todays infogrames/waner hybride) and the only footie games that was fun to play in any way was World Cup Manager, and some early eighties productions, called Soccer and Soccer 2 on my cassette tapes :)

But Wojtek has an Amiga 500 as a first classmate, and couple of us were his best friends back then, as you can guess!

Back to our gatherings - so we used to play Italia 90 a lot, and one winter saturday morning of 1993 three of us decided to play another tournament with our mate, and pay Wojtek a visit. Huge dissapointment awaited! Disk refused to work. I remember i was the most frustrated, and has been trying to force floppy disk drive to reread that damn disk again, and again in hope to get bloody game to work. No success of course, and enthusiasm has gone. I sat on a chair by the desk, flipping through 3.5 floppies in search of substitute, when i found the box i didn t recognized.

-And that s what? - i asked, and Wojtek told me there are some games he has borrowed from some friend for a weekend. We didn t know this other friend, as he wasn t our schoolmate, they knew with Wojtek because they both had an Amiga back then, and that was very comfortable for them to swap some disks between each other. It was all pirate copies, by the way, as early nineties polish computer entertainment market was not yet really developed by official dealers and retailers. To get a copy of the game, you had to go to some marketplaces (often with your own clear disks, or like in my case, tapes) and pay to some smart bussinessman to copy it for you for some little amount of money (well, at least comparing to few original games in a boxes available in just few stores, usually in a small selection).

So, i started looking what s in the new box. As you have guessed long before, i ve noticed pencilled Sensible Soccer words on one of the sticky labels. I didn t know what sensible mean, but be sure i knew that any game with soccer in the name is my piece of shit! So i asked my friend if we can try that one, in that particular disastrous situation. Guys weren t that eager, as they ve already launched Nebulus or Goblins or whatever it was, but somehow i forced them to reboot with this sensible soccer disk. Once loaded i ve noticed famous EDIT menu, and out of curiosity, before even trying the gameplay itself we have checked it. Oh my God! it was a young teenager footie fans heaven!

We randomly edited some custom teams with the names of our football local rival teams - WIdzew Lodz (supported by me and my friend Tomek) and LKS (supported by Wojtek and Adam). We changed the player names, shirts, remember - all before even seeing the gameplay! Somehow we get to friendly match menu, setting the Grand Local Derby competition WIdzew vs. LKS, deciding to play half time each, with Me and Tomek (two of us from the right side of town ;) ) controlling Widzew (i was supposed to play in the second half against Wojtek).

Once the second player pressed his play , we all waited with a high level of curiosity for what is going to appear on screen. If i remember correctly this huge display with big players on a gray backround followed, and in a seconds after it faded beatiful but strangely small football pitch appeared. A moment later and we were all laughing! And when i say laughing, i mean we really ended holding our bellies in couple of seconds. Because of that fact our first official match was delayed for at least a minute or two (you know how hard it is to stop, when four of you are laughing out loud simultaneously). Remember we used to play with footballers waaaay larger before, and forgive me this act of heresy!

Geez, if i only knew i will be still playing this cartoony game fifteen years later!

Just for a record, but this time my memory is loosy - i think it was a 1-1 draw in my historical sensi-match, with both goals scored in a first half, so careful readers may realize, that i haven t scored in my debut. My lack of shooting skills (unlike real football, where i was always dangerous goalscorer as a youngster ;) ) worries me till today, btw. but that s another part of story.

PS. all images are for reference purposes only, and they don t reflect nor document my actual gaming-history. it would be very hard to make a screenshots back then, and still have it backed-up!

More
16 years 6 months ago #26506 by Pallister
I start playing Sensible Soccer v1.1, but not very long. I had no own Amiga this time, so it was not possible to play a lot. Then, in 1994, I bought my first own Amiga 500 for 300 Deutschmarks. And SWOS was a part of the package, so I played the first SWOS. After recognizing that a new SWOS was released I bought it immediately. I played with my mate Wänä a lot of nights. But the most matches we played with 96/97.

More
16 years 6 months ago #26563 by lobo

A moment later and we were all laughing! And when i say laughing, i mean we really ended holding our bellies in couple of seconds. Because of that fact our first official match was delayed for at least a minute or two (you know how hard it is to stop, when four of you are laughing out loud simultaneously). Remember we used to play with footballers waaaay larger before, and forgive me this act of heresy!

Well that s the biggest act of blasphemy I ever heard of.

Repend before it s too late, siner :(

P.S I laughed at it too but I ve been to confession. ;)

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds