Re: Senseless Soccer

More
8 years 6 months ago #130594 by higgipoker
Replied by higgipoker on topic Re: Senseless Soccer
Got a little more work done on the goalkeeper. He s pretty robust now, but not unbeatable!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #130596 by higgipoker
And here s how the dribbling will look with a less skillful player :p

• steviebwoy78
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #130627 by steviebwoy78
Replied by steviebwoy78 on topic Re: Senseless Soccer
Your graphical style sounds great to me. Have you looked at Football Glory (Amiga)? I wonder if, now that the game is abandonware, you can just lift the sprites from it? I think, as long as you re not making profit, you can do that. Another decent graphical style would be something like the Man United: The Double games from Krisalis. They were on the Amiga too, great game actually :)

Totally agree about the on-screen controls on mobile games. Tiki Taka works fantastically well in terms of controls - tap to run, tap on a player to either pass or tackle, hold-tap for a through ball/pass to space, and swipe to shoot or slide tackle. It s really intuitive and I ve had hours of fun with the game already. I can see myself still playing it in years to come tbh. I don t know how well tilt controls would work though, I don t think they d be precise enough.

Personally, I d just love to see a new Sensi game on the Xbox One tbh. Playing a game like SWOS on the big screen is fantastic, and playing it with 2 or 3 friends on the same team is what dreams are made of! Well, my dreams anyway.. :embarrassed nerd face:

• steviebwoy78
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #130631 by steviebwoy78
These are pretty cool graphics, by the way - not particularly easy to emulate though!
metro.co.uk/2014/04/15/nintendo-pocket-f...-vs-goliath-4699363/

More
8 years 6 months ago #130633 by higgipoker
Ohhh Football Glory is a bad word in these parts ;)

I m actually going to pay an artist to make the graphics properly. I m a big fan of creative freedom, so I ll just specify the general idea and let him/her take it from there. (otherwise, the Yoda sprites are just fine!)

Yup, I remember the Man Utd Game well. Being a Liverpool fan, I always felt a bit guilty playing it - but I do remember is was definitely worth a play! Goal! too. But nothing could compete with the career mode of SWOS!

Could it be that the Man Utd. game came out just before SWOS, and so half of the appeal for me was the real player names... have to check the dates on that one!

You re probably right about the tilting controls - though my idea was more that you are a coach shouting instructions from the sideline, rather than controlling the players move for move - so the tilting would just encourage him to run a certain way... something to play with down the line anyway.

• steviebwoy78
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #130636 by steviebwoy78
haha, I remember you could chase the referee and have streakers on the field in Football Glory. I actually quite enjoyed it - to be fair, I enjoy any footie games that take a modicum of skill to actually play and win with - unlike the football games of today which are just stagnant piles of child-pleasing poo.

I think MU:TD came out really close to SWOS. Possibly afterwards I m not sure. It was really in-depth for the English leagues (it had Bishops Stortford!), but didn t have any overseas teams that I can recall. I might be totally wrong there! I remember it had a player and team editor so I used to spend hours putting new teams in and updating them every year. How times have chan..g.. oh hang on.

Great work on hiring your own artist though, my preference (not that it matters remotely) would be quite cartoony, slightly oversized heads. I really like the XBLA sprites actually, and the SS06 ones.

Are you gonna turn this into a commercial release do you think? Any chance of an Xbox One port? Go on, you know you want to!

More
8 years 6 months ago #130639 by higgipoker
The problem with Football Glory is that it was a blatant rip off of Sensi, while Sensi was still on the market.

They were forced to withdraw the game quite swiftly.

Yeah, 2001-2013 I pretty much bought either FIFA or Pro Evo every year, almost always ending in disappointment and frustration. Though I have to say, contrary to popular opinion, Pro Evo was always the better game. Just more fun to play. More fluid and pacey attacking moves, off the ball players made intelligent runs and passing moves felt great. Unlike FIFA which always feels like playing on an ice rink.

Sure, FIFA is more realistic in a lot of ways but, in gaming, realistic does not equal fun! The opposite usually! /rant

Sure I d love to be able to put the game on the consoles. Will look into it when the time comes.

• steviebwoy78
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #130642 by steviebwoy78
Ooh, I didn t know it was withdrawn. That bodes well for the value of the copy I have in the loft somewhere :D

What baffles me a little bit, is that a developer can release a game like that (that was obviously a Sensi rip-off), but 20 years later we still haven t had a game that s as similar to Sensi as Football Glory was. Maybe Senseless Soccer is the one we re all waiting for. No pressure! ;)

Did you ever play Sierra Soccer? That was a great Amiga game too - borked names iirc.

You re right about the realism vs fun. I think the basic premise of football lends itself really well to computer games. I ve probably played more of Mario Strikers with the Mrs than I have FIFA lately..

More
8 years 6 months ago #130644 by higgipoker
Never played Sierra.

Is it not possible to play the original sensi on your console with an emulator or something?

More
8 years 6 months ago #130646 by higgipoker
Turns out that you have to have a registered company to publish on XBOX One. Shame.

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds