What joystick you using

• Hassan_Arsenal
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 9 months ago #69661 by Hassan_Arsenal
Replied by Hassan_Arsenal on topic Re: What joystick you using
Hi everyone,

I m new to the game and I haven t got a joystick or gamepad, does this mean I cannot play the game? I don t know the keyboard controls, is it just the space bar and arrow keys? :D

How do you pass to a team mate, I tried searching for controls with the search button and wasn t successful :(

Please help! :]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #69774 by Wänä81
Right Control :) is fire

More
14 years 3 months ago #78949 by super_hoops1967
i want a Speed-Link Competition Pro joystick but darkplanets don t sell them anymore :(

where could i get one from thats reliable and most importantly CHEAP :D

thank you :D
p.s
I m running windows 7 if that makes any difference.

More
13 years 7 months ago #90065 by Playaveli

Do you know were i can find such an adapter?

Yes, you can buy it here:
www.raphnet-tech.com/products/atari2usb/...hp?category=Adapters

More
13 years 7 months ago #90067 by Saulot
Replied by Saulot on topic Re: What joystick you using
Thank you, I just made the order!

More
13 years 7 months ago #90068 by Playaveli

Thank you, I just made the order!

Ok, nice!
Here would be another seller:
atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail p=267

More
13 years 7 months ago #90071 by Retrieving

Well, I like the original thing (in amiga) but the main thing is the controls, when i can use my Tomahawk in the PC i might consider playing on line...

The Greek tomahawk and pacman amiga controllers, are metal sturdy contraptions and we dont trade them with any other controller in existence for retro gaming in 8 bit!

Those joysticks belong to the past (most of them were actually Coin-op control panels knock-offs made with cheap parts and B-grade microswitches to begin with...), take the nostalgia goggles off for a minute and you ll see that there s much better stuff available nowadays, it s just that bad habits are like a comfortable bed, easy to get into, but hard to get out of. ;)

More
13 years 7 months ago #90092 by Saulot
Replied by Saulot on topic Re: What joystick you using

Well, I like the original thing (in amiga) but the main thing is the controls, when i can use my Tomahawk in the PC i might consider playing on line...

The Greek tomahawk and pacman amiga controllers, are metal sturdy contraptions and we dont trade them with any other controller in existence for retro gaming in 8 bit!

Those joysticks belong to the past (most of them were actually Coin-op control panels knock-offs made with cheap parts and B-grade microswitches to begin with...), take the nostalgia goggles off for a minute and you ll see that there s much better stuff available nowadays, it s just that bad habits are like a comfortable bed, easy to get into, but hard to get out of. ;)

Said the man who sells joysticks!!!!

We are using the same microswitches as I see in your sicks man, we keep the old chassis because it really works and we refurbish them ourselves to acheve maximum performance, we have a KOA champion that does not trade the tomahawk for anything. ;) ;)

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #90098 by Retrieving

We are using the same microswitches as I see in your sicks man,

You might be using similarly shaped microswitches but the mechanism as a whole couldn t be any more different. :P

Said the man who sells joysticks!!!!

(...) we keep the old chassis because it really works and we refurbish them ourselves to acheve maximum performance, we have a KOA champion that does not trade the tomahawk for anything. ;) ;)

To each his own.

That being said, I m a competitive player myself as well and way before starting to sell joysticks I did a lot of research to find out the best design solutions and arcade parts currently available in order to build my own ultimate SWOS-stick.

Those plastic joysticks from the 90 s were originally shaped up to resemble the Arcade control panels from back then but were made with cheap plastic parts to prevent the final product from being too pricy. A totally reasonable compromise at the time.

Now, you can tell me that you re used to them and that you d never see yourself playing with anything else and that s fine really (in fact I loved them as well and still do and the transition from Quickshot Apaches to my current joystick took me quite a while) but to argue that they are any better than actual arcade control panels built with original grade-A arcade parts (I m talking about accuracy, throw distance, pivot quality, engage precision, sensitivity, durability, versatility and stuff like that) is just nonsense...and I m not even taking into account the level of personalization and fine-tuning (from the strenght of the joystick springs to the microswitches sensitivity/tech, from the size of the actuator to the shape of the restrictor gate) that you could achieve with a custom arcade-stick.

I could care less if people won tournaments with those anachronistic joysticks, they would have probably been twice as better at the game had they been using proper controllers. ;)

All things considered, there must be a reason if the hundred of thousands of pro-players who compete in beat em up s (Street Fighter, Tekken, BlazBlue etc.) and shoot em ups (Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Tohou, etc.) tournaments with prizes varying from a couple thousands (money matches) to the 30.000 US $ s of EVO Champion commonly rely upon Sanwa/Seimitsu parts and custom designs to gain an edge over their opponents and compliment their playstyle. Arcade parts is simply where it s at, try them out and then get back 2 me. :D

Anyway we re digressing lol, let s get back to the Greek meeting!

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #90099 by Playaveli

I could care less if people won tournaments with those anachronistic joysticks, they would have probably been twice as better at the game had they been using proper controllers. ;)

I totally disagree. Even more than disagree if that s possible.
This joystick-discussion about what material might be best etc. etc. is pretty much senseless.
The best controller is always the one you feel comfortable with AND (!!) are used to it. It s a ALWAYS matter of taste, and not how old, technically outdated or updated a controller is.

Normally I hate this phrase but: End of story!!
Oh, I am only talking about SWOS here. And not beat em up-games... Please take that into regard. You cannot compare the two genres.

PS: I won everything in SWOS (online offline) with a Gravis Gamepad, from the early 90ies. I am sure this is being considered outdated, too?! Refering to your quote this would mean there is a controller out there which would enable me to beat Coolio twenty times in a row if it made me twice as good. LOL! Or scoring a triple or quadruple standing header... ;D

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds